mangroves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel84

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone using these in their refugium? Been looking at them, cheato with live rock and sand, or crushed coral.

I've used them before. I recently had about 15 two foot tall plants in my refugium. They didn't do much in the way of nutrient export. Just a conversation piece really. You are better off with caulerpa or chaetomorpha.

Thanks X. Just reading about them and everyone says they are great. Darn salesmen!

I hear they use up a lot of magnesium. Mine was a little low, not terrible....it could have been from them...

I read somewhere that different macro algae's consume cal and mag .
If not testing and dosing they could end up being low ?

It depends on how large the algae colony is. Halimeda uses calcium. I wouldn't keep it because of that. If you had a massive colony of halimeda, I would imagine it would pull calcium like a coral would.

It depends on how large the algae colony is. Halimeda uses calcium. I wouldn't keep it because of that. If you had a massive colony of halimeda, I would imagine it would pull calcium like a coral would.

I posted a picture of the stuff I had awhile ago ,
It grew from the same mat the gsp is on .
I didn't like the look of it so I removed it .
All I was told when I asked to id it was macro algae .

Back
Top Bottom