Mangroves in a Refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Auden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone ever seen someone using Mangroves as part of their Refugium? I just saw it tonight and it shocked me. The guy said that Mangroves love Nitrates, so they're great in a refugium. LFS sells them for $10.00 a piece, but the guy bought 10 on Ebay for less than $20.00, and they look great. If anyone has any insight into this please post!

well i have been waiting for my stupid LFS to get some for like half of year now.
They use to have so many of them and now, they just can't get a hand on it.Yes they are a bonus to the system, just let it grow roots, at the same time cut most of the leaf off so it will keep growing the root part which does absorb nitrate.

I have had mine for several months. I paid $1.00 each on ebay from Hawaii. You will have to top them occasionally to keep them from growing straight up. They are awesome!

Attachments

• 2-refugium.jpg
    2-refugium.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 170
I have one in my fuge, can't recommend them unless you have a green thumb. They are incredibly difficult to kill, but also pretty difficult to get to grow. Not only does it seem to grow even slower than an acropora, you have to do quite a bit of maintenance including washing the leaves with fresh RO/DI to keep salt off them. Anyhow, for 20 bucks and some TLC you should have success. Keep in mind that mangroves grow in SUPER nutrient rich lagoons in places like palau and unless you have some serious PO4 issues and plan to have them for a long time, you won't likely provide enough food for it to thrive. This is however just my experience with mangroves, and I don't claim to be an expert by any means. Check out WWM if you feel you need some more research. HTH and best of luck!

Looks great Araman! Wish mine would do that!

Ha! Yes, but you could also get arrested for picking them, it is against the law in Florida to pick mangroves without a license! But you know if you are going to take the risk, grab me a couple more too.

I never knew that! Our neighborhood is so wierd that we had a law passed allowing us to trim and prevent our mangroves from reproducing. So i pick tens of thousands of seeds every season and always thought they were just about useless. So we toss them in the chipper and end up spreding mulch for the rest of the day. I have a small fuge, i guess i should plant them now? Anyone needs seeds, gimme a call lol :D

I used to collect mangrove seeds before and even a year ago we grew them in our science class! There are so many laws here being made here every that its hard to keep up. :?

I have been keeping a couple in my sump for almost a year now and they are doing just fine. I don't do any maintainance on them except put some of my top off water over the leaves once a week. Mine do a great job with the nitrates in my tank. This is only my opinion but if your thinking about it..... do it.
I got mine from haw off of ebay also for less than $18 for 10 of them.

spongeynip i will take some if the offer still stands.......didn't call cause I don't know number lol :)

i use a 6500k power compact. it is one of those 30 watt usage but put out 70 watt light in a regular clip on mini lamp

I've been reading up on Mangroves and am seriously thinking about putting a couple in my fuge, because my nitrates are a little higher than I like. My phosphates run on the high side too. But I have a question.

Do they have to grow partially above water, or could they be completely submerged? My fuge is a custom job, as tall as my tank and stands right beside it. I keep it covered with a glass lid to keep the snails from getting out (more than they do), but suppose I could open up a flap for it to grow through, but curious to know what to expect for care.

--Aquabear

But will they still grow? I found one about 6 inches tall, but it's going to have to grow another foot before it will reach the water level (my fuge is fairly deep). Once it gets taller, I'll remove the glass lid so it can rise above the water.

Is there an alternative you could suggest? TIA

--Aquabear

You can always grow it in a regular pot outside and wait for it to grow that extra foot you need. I would try to plant it in some sand /dirt mix and let it grow. Just be sure to water it regularly you can even use your water from your weekly changes to water it to better simulate its environment.

I might be wrong but I don't think it would be a good idea to submerge the whole piece into the water. Try the pot idea that should work.
HTH,
Homero

Use a piece of styrofoam and cut little holes. Float the foam in the refugium and set the mangroves in them, so that they are both exposed to air and have their roots in the water.

Just wondering is collecting the cigar shaped seeds illegal.
Also why remove the salt from the leaves, don't mangroves excrete salt from their leaves?

Back
Top Bottom