Mantis Cracking Acrylic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got a 20g acrylic tank for a Peacock Mantis Shrimp today. Just out of luck my lfs got 3 nice sized (5 inches or so) peacocks in this week. I told the guy I had to set-up an acrylic tank and that I'd be back for one next week. He launched into a tale about several people who have purchased them and now their acrylic tanks are cracked. I smell urban legend. What do you think? Shenanigans?

In all my research, I've never read of a mantis cracking an acrylic tank. I mean, I'm sure it may have happened once or twice - but, could it really be common?

- Skins

haha, shenanigans... funny word...
anyways, i saw on discovery channel where they are supposed to be able to do that or something...like, it said somethin about it being able to punch as faster than a 22 caliber bullet goes? i dont know if thats tru or not, but thats be what they said...but if you cant find nothin on the boards about them, i wouldnt worry bout it...the fish store got them in didnt they?....you woulndt think they'd keep em' if they were afraid of that happening.

i call shenanigans, i have a friend with a 6-8" peacock and i have seen it punch the glass more than once and never broke anything and thats just a 3/8 regular glass tank

Well, I know they can crack glass. A friend has one that cracked his 20g. I just got an acrylic so that didn't happen...now, this guy's telling me they can crack acrylic, but sounded odd to me.

Thanks all.

Will post pics when I get one.

- Skins

On the subject of Mantis Shrimp, are they pretty common hitchhikers on live rock? I'm setting up a new tank (45gal reef) and i'm worried about predators on my live rock. Mainly because I have a pair of very small (about 1/2") True Perculas that I really don't want anything happening to. This is a different question, but what's the best way to make sure there aren't any predators like mantis shrimp and fireworms on your LR?

This is a different question, but what's the best way to make sure there aren't any predators like mantis shrimp and fireworms on your LR?

A hypersalinity dip. Get a container and fill it with saltwater of around a 1.040 specific gravity. Placing the rock in there for about 1-2 minutes will rid it of all mobile inverts. Then you can pick and chose which you want in your tank. It will leave sessile creatures on your rock though (like anemones, hyrdoids, etc). Be careful though, and don't put your bare hands in this bucket!

Even though it's somtimes reccomended, don't use a freshwater dip. It will not only kill the inverts, but it will kill all life on your rock, and you don't want that.

Back
Top Bottom