mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I might have a mantis shrimp..Will he kill my fish or would he be ok in the tank? I have not seen him yet, but i hear a snaping sound sometimes.

Actually you probably have a "smasher" which unless very large will be more of a danger to your inverts. Look for smashed snail and hermit shells, that is usually the early indicator of a mantis.
Smashers are not much of a threat to fish until they get large and these are the ones we tend to find in our rock.

It's very possible you have a pistol shrimp, not saying you dont have a mantis but mantis shrimp sound like their knocking the tank down when they get busy, it actually sounds like someone knocking on the front door.

No. I would leave it if it's a pistol. And maybe when you are certain that is what it is, you could get him a little shrimp goby buddy to pal around with.

The sound he makes it sounds like if you were to put your hand in the water and you crack your fingers...Something like that

Could be either one. I've never been able to differentiate between the two clicks. Have to look for signs of mantis like already mentioned. Broken snail shells are a good indicator.

Hey Guys,

sorry to but in, but i just got my LR from LR.com today and am wondering if i have a mantis shrimp. I am a newvie, do i really dont know what to look for but to listen for the sound. When do they tend to make this sound (light on/off etc.), and how often do they do it. If i havent heard it in a day, do you think i have one? and if i do have one, should i worry about it, and can they actually break glass? Zack from LR.com said that their Mantis shrimp are less aggressive unlike other Mantis shrimp found on imported rock, is this true?

TIA

- Jeff

My experience with mantis' is that they are the busiest after lights out. My last batch of rock from lr.com came with a mantis that didn't make a sound for a week. They don't click all the time. You may get lucky with a flashlight and a night tank search. (you'll want to do this anyway just because, lots of stuff comes out of the rock at night 8O ) lol As for aggressiveness, I have no idea. Kinda like all fish/critters. It may depend on the individual. But, chances are, if you have one, it's a smasher variety and your snails, shrimp and crabs are more at risk than the fish. Good luck.

I had 3, and I got them all. I'm keeping one as a pet in a a 10 gal. He's eating a piece of scallop right now. I don't care what anyone says - get them out of your tank. I found broken shells, and eaten feather worms. I put a guppy in the 10 gal tank where I have him now, and he snatched him right out of the water.

Smashers, spearers, chuckers. All nice theoretical terms. He'll eat what he can grab, easiest first.

hey midiman, can i trouble you for a pick, how big are these guys? just want to know what to look for.

TIA.

This is the colorful one they can be all sorts of colors.
I have never seen one bigger than 2.5-3 in

Attachments

• mantis_shrimp_207.jpg
    mantis_shrimp_207.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 125
img_372356_0_3cfc2e2718c3d3c6b6fdc663edfa1e43.jpg

Back
Top Bottom