Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Hey Guys,

sorry to but in, but i just got my LR from LR.com today and am wondering if i have a mantis shrimp. I am a newvie, do i really dont know what to look for but to listen for the sound. When do they tend to make this sound (light on/off etc.), and how often do they do it. If i havent heard it in a day, do you think i have one? and if i do have one, should i worry about it, and can they actually break glass? Zack from LR.com said that their Mantis shrimp are less aggressive unlike other Mantis shrimp found on imported rock, is this true?

TIA

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

My experience with mantis' is that they are the busiest after lights out. My last batch of rock from lr.com came with a mantis that didn't make a sound for a week. They don't click all the time. You may get lucky with a flashlight and a night tank search. (you'll want to do this anyway just because, lots of stuff comes out of the rock at night 8O ) lol As for aggressiveness, I have no idea. Kinda like all fish/critters. It may depend on the individual. But, chances are, if you have one, it's a smasher variety and your snails, shrimp and crabs are more at risk than the fish. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had 3, and I got them all. I'm keeping one as a pet in a a 10 gal. He's eating a piece of scallop right now. I don't care what anyone says - get them out of your tank. I found broken shells, and eaten feather worms. I put a guppy in the 10 gal tank where I have him now, and he snatched him right out of the water.

Smashers, spearers, chuckers. All nice theoretical terms. He'll eat what he can grab, easiest first.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey midiman, can i trouble you for a pick, how big are these guys? just want to know what to look for.

TIA.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is the colorful one they can be all sorts of colors.
I have never seen one bigger than 2.5-3 in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mantis_shrimp_207.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1722  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the pic, that thing is NASTY.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com