Mantis shrimp Deep Freeze or Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a Mantis shrimp that I put in the freezer as a I was told this was the most humane was of killing him.

I have found another; this time I do not want to kill him. I have put him in my sump (refuge), can anyone tell me what would I feed him. I have a bit of live rock and a crushed marble sub straight. I have put in some pellets for today.

I would like to give him a home, after all he (she) is beautiful, its just he would eat my fish given a chance

sounds like you figured out what to feed him... carnivore right?

They are kewl looking though eh

I had a Mantis shrimp that I put in the freezer as a I was told this was the most humane was of killing him.

I`m still not convinced that is a humane way to go. Be care putting your hand in the sump.

Melosu58,

I'm with you, I don't think it is humane. However, the other option my LFS gave me was to hit him over the head. There is no way I could do that!!!

So in regards to feeding, pellets and an occasional prawn/shrimp?

I think that would be horrible. It would be like poring a bottle on acid all over us. That would be soooo painful!!!

Too bad you are so far away. Do you have a local Forum? I'm sure someone would give him/her a good home. The eat small hermits and snails and should a couple of times a week to keep their "rapts" healthy. They eat Frozen Mysis, Silversides, Squid, Krill, soak freeze dried food in Selcon also is a good idea. Most people will pay for shipping ...I would if I didn't have one and not able to house another right now. Good luck.

copepod,

I am happy to give him a good home. I was just wondering what to seed him. Thanks for the advise, frozen Mysis, Silversides, Squid, Krill, soak freeze dried food in Selcon has been the best. I will keep him well fed.

Most humane way to do it....
Death by Overdose with Anesthetics

• Tricaine Methanesulfonate (TMS). This method is probably the most quoted by people with much experience in euthanizing fish humanely (i.e. for university experiments, etc.). TMS is also known as MS222 and commercially is known as Finquel. You can buy it from a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]pet [COLOR=blue ! important]supply[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] store; Drs. Foster and Smith carry it; a bottle costs $24.99 plus shipping and handling. You can also buy this from PondRx ($14.99 plus shipping and handling for a 5 gram bottle) and Argent Labs. According to fish biologist Meyers' blog, simply by doubling the regular dose that you would use to anesthetize the fish will euthanize it. This substance is FDA approved for anesthetizing and euthanizing fish; it is the only product that is FDA approved to anesthetize fish.

dont freeze anything that doesnt have scales... and even then dont do it with anything that weighs over a pound or so... extremely painful and bad way to die

-Brad

I read that it is humane to cut the head off or to drop them into boiling water. I don't think either of these are very humane. I wouldn't know what to do. Good luck finding him or her a home though.

choping off the head is painless.. its over before it hurts.. however 99% of people cant do that to there pet. i tried freezing a goldfish once... pulled him out.. and went to stuff him full of peas for my oscar.. well.. as i put him in the water.. he began to thaw out and started swimming... after that.. ill never freeze them again.

roka64,

That is the best info. Thanks! I will have to see if tis is legal in Australia; maybe vets have it available.

If you have access to vets, ask about this:
Benzocaine Hydrochloride is a drug requiring a veterinarian's prescription; you cannot buy it over the shelf for your fish. The AVMA advocates the use of Benzocaine hydrochloride but not straight Benzocaine. Benzocaine is not water soluble and must be mixed in water with acetone or ethanol, both can irritate fish tissue.

not sure if you resolved your issue but I read a neat article where a guy had a very small nano tank set up on his desk for just his mantis, said he was amazing to watch and likes to rearrange rock and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom