Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
marine hermit tank?

Well, I currently have freshwater tanks and land hermit crabs, and I thought it would be cool to have a tank of marine hermit crab too! I'd probably be switching a 10g fresh to salt, if I do it, and was wondering what it would take, and how many hermies I could put in there, if I could also put a small fish in there, and if I'd need other things like live rock or whatever. This would be my first attempt at anything SW, so help would be much appreciated! Very Happy Also, for the cycle, would the bacteria in my fw convert over to salt, or would I have to start all over again? If it matters, I already use sand as the substrate! Thanks!

frenchpea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
If you want just hermits than you could get by with just some sand, a simple HOB power filter, tufa or lava rock ( simple cheap stuff), regular flourescent lighting, and a heater. Theres also the other little stuff that isn't mentioned.

If you want some other little fish the equipment will have to be alittle more advanced but for now that's basicly all you need, just the basics since hermits are pretty easy.

And yes you have to cyce all over again...fun huh? lol

Theres going to be alot more if you want a fish but since you really asked about thehermits i'll leave it at that... but have you thought of getting a smaller tank wiht just a chunk of live rock and some little inverts instead?

I'm tired of getting pointless messages. If your going to start a conversation or ask me something, keep up with it.
flamingonhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
are you talking about other inverts besides hermits? The main thing I want it for is the hermits, since I keep land hermits as well....
frenchpea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i think flamingonhot is right, those are the basic u need. I belive marine hermit need a bit more care than land hermits, especially water quality wise, if ur water is not right, hermit can die quite fast sometimes.(maybe thatz why they are so cheap in lfs)
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

hermit, marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com