Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Marine plants?

I was wondering if any of you have marine planted tanks? I was looking at some plants and found them interesting. Sounds like some of them are good for the refuge, and food for inverts?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
steve-s

More commonly they will be complex algae. True marine vascular plants are actually quite rare and not commonly sold to the hobby. What specific species did you have in mind.

Have a look here....
http://wetwebmedia.com/algaeasfriend.htm

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right right, i saw that they were algea. i was just browsing this site here. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=490

Also, how does it effect the bio load, should you limit how much lr you have if you want plants also?

How to they attach to lr? Or do they?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
steve-s

They don't limit the bioload, they will however improve water quality as long as they are harvested and removed from the system on a regular basis. Most will do best in a refugium application where theie growth can be limited. Some species, especially caulerpa's, can quickly take over a tank and can become a nuisance. The only ones I would ever suggest placing in the main display would be slow growing calcerous species. You just need to make sure chemistry is maintained properly.

As far as attaching, it's a little like plants but not quite the same. Most you will but from an etailer like that will be attached to something. Caulpera's usually won't though, especially chaetomorpha (but that's not a caulerpa).

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, something to look into regarding the water quality thats always a plus. Where abouts might I pick up a calcerous? How often should you trim/remove them? And for how long?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
Where abouts might I pick up a calcerous?
Online would be your best bet. Most LFS don't sell these types of algaes.

Quote:
How often should you trim/remove them?
Depends on the algae species. Best thing I can suggest is "as needed". Many species of calcerous algae grow very slowly and will rarely need trimming.

Quote:
And for how long?
I don't follow?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can plants like turtle Grass and Widgeon grass be kept in marine aquariums?

I see it literally inches from coral in the keys.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
steve-s

Not easily no. They require silty/muddy sand and very nutrient rich systems. They might work in a very mature large refugium in time.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Any marine grass, be it turtle grass, or sea grass isn't the best macroalgae to start out with. Not only do they need higher lighting but very deep sand beds around 6 inches deep or close to that amount. They also need to be established and have they're root systems take hold.

Macro helps out with water quality if you have a lot of it. I have about a pound ( those little plastic fish bags FILLED with it when i recieved it) in my 10 gallon and the water stays crystal clear constantly. Caulerpa and cheatomorphae and some of the best types to start out with.

Tags
marine, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com