Marine plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if any of you have marine planted tanks? I was looking at some plants and found them interesting. Sounds like some of them are good for the refuge, and food for inverts?

They don't limit the bioload, they will however improve water quality as long as they are harvested and removed from the system on a regular basis. Most will do best in a refugium application where theie growth can be limited. Some species, especially caulerpa's, can quickly take over a tank and can become a nuisance. The only ones I would ever suggest placing in the main display would be slow growing calcerous species. You just need to make sure chemistry is maintained properly.

As far as attaching, it's a little like plants but not quite the same. Most you will but from an etailer like that will be attached to something. Caulpera's usually won't though, especially chaetomorpha (but that's not a caulerpa).

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, something to look into regarding the water quality thats always a plus. Where abouts might I pick up a calcerous? How often should you trim/remove them? And for how long?

Marc118 said:
Where abouts might I pick up a calcerous?
Online would be your best bet. Most LFS don't sell these types of algaes.

How often should you trim/remove them?
Depends on the algae species. Best thing I can suggest is "as needed". Many species of calcerous algae grow very slowly and will rarely need trimming.

And for how long?
I don't follow?

Cheers
Steve

Can plants like turtle Grass and Widgeon grass be kept in marine aquariums?

I see it literally inches from coral in the keys.

Not easily no. They require silty/muddy sand and very nutrient rich systems. They might work in a very mature large refugium in time.

Cheers
Steve

Any marine grass, be it turtle grass, or sea grass isn't the best macroalgae to start out with. Not only do they need higher lighting but very deep sand beds around 6 inches deep or close to that amount. They also need to be established and have they're root systems take hold.

Macro helps out with water quality if you have a lot of it. I have about a pound ( those little plastic fish bags FILLED with it when i recieved it) in my 10 gallon and the water stays crystal clear constantly. Caulerpa and cheatomorphae and some of the best types to start out with.

Back
Top Bottom