Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Marine puffer tank....

I am in the process of fully converting my puffers tank from a brackish to full marine. Once this is done is it acceptable to put some coral in? And other invertebrate? I'm pretty sure he will prob try to eat them but are there any that he won't? Thanks!! Also, on a side note, anyone know if mangroves will survive in full marine? I don't think they will but would like verification either way😂

Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there personally I think you need to do a bit more research from the way I'm reading your post you're putting something that lives in brackish water into A marine Full system there will be a big variation in salt density and the fish my not be able to cope with that much change, marine pufferfish can be mixed with corals but is more trial and error when they say they're not reef safe they mainly mean Crustations, has for mangroves yes you can use them I have seen these in many tanks on the web,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Is this a green spotted puffer? Have you done any research on a reef tank? How is the tank setup? Like gravel and fw decorations or marine sand and rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Def need more information on your puffer. Though green puffers can be made fully saltwater over time it shortens their life span.
Do some serious reading on coral care as well. Corals need intense lighting to survive in our systems, and puffers find them tasty.
As for mangroves, they can be kept in our systems like any plant but need specialized care as well.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well considering this isn't my first rodeo I'll do alittle more explaining. His tank is brackish as he was in a freshwater tank at the lfs when I brought him home. I have been transitioning him over the past five months to increase the salinity in his tank to a brackish level. He is the only fish occupying said tank and his been residing in it for the past year. The reason I am transitioning is bc I have read that they do transition to marine tanks very well and it actually can EXPAND the life of said puffer when living in a higher salinity then a brackish tank. His tank is fairly boring with rocks, a bubble rock, some water Sprite, and some mangroves. Other then being all over me while I'm cleaning his tank he pretty much leaves things alone as in Decor. He will still root up plants but nothing like he use to when he was younger. So my main question is again, will the mangroves live in the higher salinity and what other type of things such as invertebrates, coral, more live rock could I do?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is green spotted puffer. Live sand substrated. Established tank been running well over a year. 15g

Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Marine puffer tank....

I guess this answers one question
Green spotted puffers in a marine tank with Mangroves
https://youtu.be/b4Gd6ZSLdkg
But looking after corals won't be so easy it's not just about putting them in your tank and leaving them to get on with it you will need the right lighting And regular testing and keeping the water chemistry in balance to sustain coral life and you really do need to read up on it first if you want to add corals it may be safer to add the artificial corals instead and save you money in the long run. But that choice is yours.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good deal. Is that your tank? It's beautiful. And yes, I'm not scared to do the maintenance for the corals and such and the lighting isn't an issue. I just didn't know how the puff would do. I guess it's hit or miss with these guys. But I am going slowly to a full marine tank only I'm going to be upgrading the tank size. Everything will transfer bc the filter in his tank now is rated for a 75g. Just wanting confirmation on the mangroves and such. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

No it's not my tank i'm afraid you should have a little browse on YouTube there is quite a lot on there with mangroves, and good luck.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

YouTube drives me crazy. My kids watch that stampy chap all the time and it drives me crazy. I don't even have it on my phone😂😂😂

Tags
marine, puffer, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com