Marine Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
There seems to be at least 5 major companies offering their blend of aquarium salts to the marine aquarist. Is any of them preferred over the others?

I started with a pail of Instant Ocean salt but it won't be long before I need a refill. I was just wondering if I should be looking at a competiting product.

46 gal FOWLR - running for 3 weeks

Using 40lbs of live sand and 60-70lbs of LR (most of the rock is sparsely covered with coraline algea or still bare.

Charlie,

The choice of aquarium salt will depend on the aquariast. Between Oceanic, CoralLife, Kent, or any other brand none of them are going to make a significant difference UNLESS you go with Tropic Marine. Tropic Marine contains all the trace elements in significant enough quantities that has made this salt a favorite among most REEF and FISH owners. Their specimens tend to be healthier and have brilliant colors. The product is a bit more expensive but it it well worth the cost even if you have just fish and a few inverts.

I use oceanic as it keeps my calcium levels up high where it needs to be. As you see if you ask this question 10 times you will get 10 different answers and everybody will think their`s is more superior than others. All brands have their ups and downs. The only thing I would suggest is that you dont keep changing brands. Find one that is good for you and stick with it at least for a while to cause stability in your tank.

Well, that's 4 votes of confidence for 4 different brands. I guess that answers my question. I'll stick with the IO until I feel a need for a change.

Thanks guys

Trameltanz said:
Charlie,

The choice of aquarium salt will depend on the aquariast. Between Oceanic, CoralLife, Kent, or any other brand none of them are going to make a significant difference UNLESS you go with Tropic Marine. Tropic Marine contains all the trace elements in significant enough quantities that has made this salt a favorite among most REEF and FISH owners. Their specimens tend to be healthier and have brilliant colors. The product is a bit more expensive but it it well worth the cost even if you have just fish and a few inverts.

Tropic Marine also adds things you don't want to your tank like: copper, titanium and few other things you don't want in your tank.

Just curious, but where did u get that info. I have been using Tropic Marin since i started in the SW side of the hobby and i love it. If it does add copper it is in such a tiny amount that it doesn't matter because i have had many inverts with no problems and my friend runs his reef with Tropic Marin also with no problems. It is by far the highest quality salt out there.

For the most part i have found from personal experience and the experience of some of my friends that when it comes to this hobby you get what u pay for. I am more than happy to pay the extra money for a better product.

My Coral Life ground probe is solid titanium so I "assume" that titanium is not harmful to a SW aquarium. This hobby is too confusing. :>)

Back
Top Bottom