Marine Salt recomendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am about to set up 30g FOWLR.
What Brand of marine salt you guys and gals are using?

for a FOWLR you can pretty much use any of them. I'd stick with Instant Ocean as it's cost effective. if you ever decide to go reef, then you need to really look at a quality salt mix.

NyteGTI said:
for a FOWLR you can pretty much use any of them. I'd stick with Instant Ocean as it's cost effective. if you ever decide to go reef, then you need to really look at a quality salt mix.

For first 6 months to a year it's gonna be FOWLR. After that I will go reef.

yea then for the first 6 months you can use instant ocean. Truthfully until you're loaded with corals you can use it for reef as well(they also make "reef crystals" which is a decent salt for a reef tank). once you start getting used to dealing with corals, go ahead and mix 50/50 your old salt & new salt & start doing changes with that. then work your way into the new salt. the salts usually wouldn't have a major difference but the trace elements & stuff will cause your corals to react a little differently.

I also like instant ocean. Cheap, readily available and has everything a salt mix needs. lol

I use regular I/O for my fowlr tanks and the reef I/O crystals for my coral tanks. :)

Salt mix is really in the eye of thebeholder, everyone has their preference but in the end they accomplish the same things.

I've tried other salt mixes and really couldn't see any difference so I am back to I/O.

Back
Top Bottom