Marine Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaZoN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I am setting up my first reef aquarium and am looking for some advice and comments. I have been keeping tropical fish for 6 years so Im not totally new but marine is quite complex to me.

I am planning on setting up a 60"x18"x24" aquarium using live rock setup with a sump. Protein skimmer to be located in sump.

A 6"x6" overflow is to be located in the back left hand corner to serve both as drain and return. I will use 1 powerhead in opposite corner. I am hoping to move between 600 - 900GPH with the overflow and return (not sure if this is possible).

Havent figured out the lighting requirments yet but any comments on what I have figured out would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of pics of home made stand below

Thanks

Attachments

• dscf0038.jpg
    dscf0038.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 206
  • dscf0039.jpg
    dscf0039.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 207
  • dscf0038.jpg
    dscf0038.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 203
Are you thinking MH lights? Do you have a canopy (or build one?)

Make sure to install the sump first - it may be hard fitting it in with those center beams :)

Yeah sump is going to go in first will probably build it myself.

I am going to build the canopy but havent designed it yet.

I think MH is the way to go but need to do some more homework

I'd do 3 bulbs on a 60", but since you'll have some overlap, suggest 175W bulbs (unless you want to run 20k)

Does the tank have a center brace? Or 2 offset braces? Or (lucky) no braces?

Tank hasnt been built yet. Will be getting it ordered in the next week. Have been waiting till Im sure where the drill holes are going as I want the tank predrilled before its ordered.

Im feeling my way in the dark here as I dont know anyone whos done reef before so Im totally relying on books, internet and forums for advice

What should I try to opt for? One or two braces? Not sure if 60" is possible without brace.

You can build braceless tanks. But usualy it costs a fair bit more.

The trick is figuring out where you are placing your bulbs, especialy for MH lights (which will leave an ugly shadow, and can melt/weaken the brace if its acryllic).

An MH bulb in a reflector is generaly good for a 2' x 2' area. Anything outside of this gets rather dark. You can increase some lightspread by raising the lights, but that dims everything in the process.

You may want to think about a second hole for a return to the sump if you want to get close to 900 it will be needed one alone will gt you 600 depending on size, fittings ect..
I should ask what size holes/ bulkheads are you thinking about.
One in each upper corner would be my choice.

What Im looking at are 1" bulkheads.

The reason for option for one overflow was for aesthetics, as you can see from the photo the left hand corner will hide the the overflow and return whereas the right hand side is visible upon entrance to the room. Would a centre overflow with two outlets and two returns be a better solution ar stick with the traditional two corner overflows?

Back
Top Bottom