Marine startup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
With the next BRS group buy, I'm diving into marine tanks. I have a few questions first though:
1. With RODI water, is it best to produce the water, then heat and add salt? Or is heating not necessary?
2. After I have the water I need for my water change/top off, should I turn off the supply line to the RODI unit, or turn off the output line (IOW, should I keep the unit under pressure, or relieve the pressure)?
3. With the use of Instant Ocean salt or SeaChem's Marine salt, is the addition of further trace elements required (ie, SeaChem's Marine Trace)? Right now, I'm looking at a FOWLR tank w/ inverts...*maybe* an anemone, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I"ll have lots more questions once the gear arrives. :)

With the next BRS group buy, I'm diving into marine tanks. I have a few questions first though:
1. With RODI water, is it best to produce the water, then heat and add salt? Or is heating not necessary?
2. After I have the water I need for my water change/top off, should I turn off the supply line to the RODI unit, or turn off the output line (IOW, should I keep the unit under pressure, or relieve the pressure)?
3. With the use of Instant Ocean salt or SeaChem's Marine salt, is the addition of further trace elements required (ie, SeaChem's Marine Trace)? Right now, I'm looking at a FOWLR tank w/ inverts...*maybe* an anemone, if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance. I'm sure I"ll have lots more questions once the gear arrives. :)

1. Produce water, then add powerhead, salt, and heater at the same time. You want the temp and salinity of new water to match tank water. Heater is important.
2. Not sure if i understand
3. Instant ocean is fine for now. You can try reef salt if you want. Some people likes them while others do not think they are important.

1. Produce water, then add powerhead, salt, and heater at the same time. You want the temp and salinity of new water to match tank water. Heater is important.

Thanks. I'll make sure to pick up another heater an thermometer.

2. Not sure if i understand
Actually, this question has been nullified by looking at the BRS site: the float valve is on the product end, and shuts the unit off automatically.

3. Instant ocean is fine for now. You can try reef salt if you want. Some people likes them while others do not think they are important.
I don't think that SeaChem's Marine salt is reef salt (they have a separate reef product), but so long as the salt alone does the trick, I'm cool with that.

Back
Top Bottom