Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Marine Tank - Power Failure question.

Is it true that a whole marine tank can be lost if there is a power failure for 2 or 3 days completely ? Please describe thanks.

Vijay

Old 07-03-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If power is out for 2 or 3 days then yes a total loss could occur.

The problem is with temperature falling to low, lack of water movment thus a much lower level of oxygen in the water, lack of water movment means that waste that corals excreet cant be removed from the corals imedeate area and they suffer, lack of light for the corals. Most of the corals food comes from photosynsis so with no lights and no water current there is no way to get food to the coral polyps.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Wow, I never knew they were so delicate
Old 07-03-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawmutt
Wow, I never knew they were so delicate
I had a feeling and I am glad that I asked this question. Without verifying all the facts investing ina marine tank is not advisable. Specially, considering the fact that they are fairly expensive compared to the fresh water tanks.

Vijay
Old 07-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Vijay do you often have periods of long power outages? A small/medium sized gas generator is always a good back up if you do have issues with power stability. Then you can not only put your tank but you can also put your refridge and freezer if you have one on it to keep food from spoling.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Places also sell battery powered air pumps. You can use these to help keep water moveing in the tank. Wrapping the tank in heavy blankets will help keep temperatures up aswell.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

These are excellent suggestions. However, power outages are not at all common in my area. But when they do occur, they last some time. Buying additional equipment to back all this up only increases the expenses. While all this is helpful, I have a limited budget for now. Hence, it is better to work within those limitations.

Vijay
Old 07-03-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
along with the other things mentioned, it is not just marine tanks and coral that suffer. Freshwater tropical fish will die as well. Not to mention if it is winter, you have the heat loss issues. And the losses can occur alot sooner than two or three days.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:14 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Good point hara, I was going online here to make that same point. Any tropical fish reguarless of type of water is not going to fair very well if the temperatures get down below 72F for a prolonged period of time. If you live where it can get cold like your profile says your in canada so I can expect if you experence a power outage from say an ice storm and you use electric to power your home heat then the air temperature in the room will fall.

Power outages are things any serious aquarists has to make plans for. I myself dont have a generator but if/when I can afford one I plan on getting one just incase. And like I oultined above its not just for the tanks. A generator can be used for many other household uses in case of such a prolonged outage.

I lost power last year due to a lighting strike next to my house for 18 hours. This was in the summer so I was ok for water temperature but one thing that was of concern was the lower oxygenation so every 30 min or so I would go and circulate the water at the surface with my hand to help boost the oxygen content. Had I had a battery powered air pump that would have been good to use.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
two weeks ago, we spent 350. on a gas generator..I would have thought it had
enough power to do whatever we wanted..not so., but it will get us out of trouble.

Tags
marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com