Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Marine Velvet

I just lost all of my fish due to velvet. I am going to let my tank go through the required 4 to 6 week fallow period to kill the parasite. My question is whether or not I could add coral to the tank, and start building the reef, or would the parasite attach to and kill the coral. Also, would it be wise to add more LR. My tank has been running for six weeks and water conditions are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
It won't hurt the corals. Fish are the only hosts. I would let the tank set 8 weeks without fish for velvet.
I feel your pain, I lost 4 of my fish earlier this year to the same disease. Early is the fallow period would be a good time to add some rock.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:29 AM   #3

Thanks alot QShark. I would hate to stare at a lifeless tank for 8 weeks. Also, what in your opinion would be good corals to start with.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I'm a fish and invert guy, maybe someone else can take that one.
I know 8 weeks is a long time, I doubt if you want to go through that again though.
The parasite associated with Velvet has a longer life cycle than the one associated with ich, thats why I recommend the longer fallow period.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what kind of lights do you have?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
I have the same problem too in my tank since I removed my other fish and they seem to be doing great in a 55 QT. My question would be if it's OK to add inverts and corals into the tank and all will be OK. Also, I have 2 eels in the tank still since someone in the forum told me it would be OK, sould I take them out? Please let me know. Also, by having them in the tank, would this prolong the cycle of the Velvet?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #7

Ihave 4x65 Power Compact with lunar lights. 40 pounds of LR.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishboy-from-NY
I have the same problem too in my tank since I removed my other fish and they seem to be doing great in a 55 QT. My question would be if it's OK to add inverts and corals into the tank and all will be OK. Also, I have 2 eels in the tank still since someone in the forum told me it would be OK, sould I take them out? Please let me know. Also, by having them in the tank, would this prolong the cycle of the Velvet?
So you are treating all with copper?
You can add some inverts and coral to the main, just keep in mind there is a "slight" chance they could bring a parasite in with them. If you are going to add, I would do it early in the treatment period. Leave a window of 4 weeks without adding anything. IMO
The reason I say this is because I once had some live sand bring in ich. 8O
Old 10-30-2004, 11:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is is a 55 or 75? I have really loved my mushrooms. They are really hardy, also another one that grew quickly was palythoa, I got some of the neon green kind a few months ago and it grew enough so that I could frag some off for my friend. Wood's polyps are real pretty, they are hardy and wave in the currents, never saw any until I ordered some frags from garf. Another one that I have, was my the first of two that I ever bought, been threw hell and back and it has grown about 6 or 7 times it's origainal size is star polyps. I love my bubble coral too, but I had a little trouble in the beginning learning to care for it...that was before I came here.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Joeddogg, try mushrooms in different colors, ricordea, pumping xenia (careful of that one, it spreads like crazy - but tameable), hammer. Try Eric Boreneman's coral book first, I'd suggest. Good reference. Available in this site's book library. It'll give you the skinny on various types and care needs.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, velvet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com