Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Marineland Corner Tank System 5 gal

I have the above 5 gal corner tank. Is this suitable for a saltwater set up? I've seen stores that say it is, but I'm skeptical. I'd like it to be, but I'm concerned that the lighting is too limited. I have an 11 watt cf bulb in it right now with a couple neons and small plants, but even the small aponogetons have basically not grown over the last year. Could be a fert issue, but still...

What are your feelings on this tank for saltwater? What would I need to add to make it suitable if it isn't already? Thanks!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Doable if you replace the lighting and want a reef tank. If all you want is a sw tank with some fish in it, you can probably just mod that hood and keep the lighting that is in it now. Hoods on saltwater tanks are pretty much a no no anyways (they trap CO2 which causes pH to drop) but you might be able to alter it in some way, I don't know. If you invested in a CF fixture that could hang above the tank (how wide is it in the middle?) it may work. Of course, you'd have to completely get all new sand for it, salt, a hydrometer or refractometer (which is 100x more accurate than a hydrometer), probably 2 small powerheads, test kits, etc. It'd definitley be an investment.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it's funny how some vendors are just like, "it's great for a saltwater set up." Just throw stuff in, watch it eventually die, and buy some more!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the exact same tank and used it as a SW tank untill I moved! I just put a 20 watt sunlight and a 15 watt acnitic (sp) on it and it was awesome! I also trashed the whole hood and put a AC on it with some LR and a big powerhead (turned it on its lowest setting though lol)!
CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Somewhat of a novice here - what's a AC?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

aqua clear filter

CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corner, corner tank, marineland, stem, system, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com