Marineland Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of getting a new HOB filter for my aquarium. I'm going to relegate my Whisper to my 5 gallon bucket. I'm goining to use it to airate (sp?) the water plus use Phosban inside the filter.

So I was wondering what filter you recommend to replace the Whisper. I was thinking of getting the Emporer 280, the new Penguin series, or the Marineland Wet/Dry Filter.

I like the Emporer but its almost double what I have to pay for the other brands. Does anyone know how well the new Penguins work? And does anyone have experience with the HOB wet/dry filter? I can't seem to find many threads on it.

Obviously I'll be taking the bio-wheels out but I have another question that I couldn't find the answer to. I'll be getting more lr so my tank has about a 1.5lb/gal ratio. I'll be using that as my biological filter. So do I still need the filter pads in the Emporer/Penguins. And if I do, do those need to be washed out daily to remove detrius? Also I will be using small amounts of filter media (Phosban and maybe a half-unit of Chemi-pure) so I am going to need some flexibility there.

Thanks for any help I can get.

I'm kind of gong through this hassle becuase this weekend, I'm driving down to That Fish/Pet Place for thier 10th anniversary sale. Pretty much all saltwater livestock is 20% off and I'm going to try some very easy species of coral. I'm REALLY excited so this thread is going to mean alot for me.

If you plan to remove the bio-wheel anyway, why not just go with an AquaClear HOB? They are the best IMO.

I'd probably just run filter floss in the HOB, along with your phos. absorbing media. That should keep the water polished without creating a huge nitrate factory, as long as you regularly change the floss.

If you want to run bags of Chemi-Pure in a HOB, you are pretty much restricted to the Aquaclear series. On the good side, they are excellent HOB filters which now include a bag of bio-media.

Have fun at the sale!
Asaint

Back
Top Bottom