Maroon Clown aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have a Radiant Wrasse, a Gold Striped Maroon Clown and a Spotted Mandarin in my 72G. I currently have a Royal Gramma and Yellow Watchman Goby in QT that are much smaller than the clown. I am concerned that I may have added the Maroon to early and he may be aggressive towards these new additions. Is this correct or should I not worry? I know people say that rearranging the rocks is a good solution but that will be very difficult given the amount of corals i have in the tank.

Please let me know your thoughts.

tripper

I've got a maroon clown, he had two jawfish (RIP), and a green banded goby with him in a 20.

They are really mean fish (mine bites me all the time), especially when they are hosting something. When there were a lot of other fish in the tank with mine he has kinda mean to them in the beginning, but then they all got there own little territory and everything was fine. I really wouldn't worry about him attacking another fish unless of coarse it's another clown fish or something that can't hardly swim......... clownfish are horrible swimmers.

I would put them in with the MG clown and see how it goes. the royal gramma will probably be to fast for him to do any real damage, and the goby will get inside of the rockwork where the fish can't get to him anyways. I wouldn't worry about it. Then again you may have a super clownfish from hell who's favorite meal is royal gramma with a side of watchman goby.

If it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH

Thanks for the response Jason. I hadn't thought about the fact that the clown is a poor swimmer. I have a feeling he won't be catching either of the two fish even if they are smaller. I will give it a shot after the QT time is over and we'll see how it goes.

tripper

My maroon is about 5". She was added after my yellow tang who is king of the tank. After her I put a trimma goby and a barnacle blenny into the tank. When the trimma went in you'd thought I'd thrown live bait into the tank! She tried to eat it the second it hit the water. The fish "mysteriously" disappeared a week after being put into the tank. The barnacle blenny is FAST and she doesn't bother with him at all.

In 2w we'll be putting our new PT into the tank. It will be interesting to see how my inhabitants take to that!

Back
Top Bottom