Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Massive Algae Overnight Mid-Cycle

My tank is about half-way though my Shrimp cycle...Day #11

Ammonia = 0.5ppm
Nitrite = 3ppm
Nitrates = 10 pm

One day the tank is all nice looking, I come home from work...there is Green Algae all over my Base Rock, Gravel, Glass, and even free floating on top of the water!!!

Is this normal??? I am using RO/DI water. The only thing I have added to the tank is the shrimp. I have had my Bak Pak 2R running during the entire cycle. Light are on only 8 hours a day.

Just wondering.....do I need to worry or is this normal. Live rock will be coming in about 2 weeks, and the cleaning crew to follow after the second cycle with the Live Rock.

90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Nutrient + Light = Algae.

You haven't done anything wrong and in fact it's actually a good sign that things are comming along. For now there's nothing to be concerned about, at least in these beginning stages unless it gets out of control.

Typically once the cycle is done and the fuel sources feeding the alga abate, then it will die off on it's own.

algae, cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com