Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mattyfelts's Nano

Hey everyone, on friday i plan to begin cycling a ten gallon nano. My mother says if i can successfuly cycle, keep, and maintain this small nano tank then she will buy a 55 gallon for my to stock,etc. for our basement.

So i have the tank already. What i am wondering is how to cycle a saltwater, What filter should i get, do i need a powerhead, lighting?, and any other info i will need.

For live stock i was looking at: [*Note: Just one of these]
  • Green Clown Goby
  • Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse
  • Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
I plan on using Instant Ocean for the water [both the salt and dechlorinator], since i am university student and have only a part time job i cannot afford a RODI system. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mattyfelts's Nano

Ok for a 10g there are lots of ways to go. Filtration you can look at hob protein skimmers to save space in the tank but one is not required on a tank this small if you will be good about doing weekly wc's. You can also use a simple job filter to run some media if you don't want to go w/ a protein skimmer. For the power head it really depends on wether or not you plan on keeping corals to know the amount of flow to shoot for. My 10g lps / softie tank I have 2 korilia 240's on opposite sides and an aqua clear 50 hob filter to run CPE and rowaphos and for a little more surface agitation. Lights again depend on wether / what corals you want to keep. As for the cycle what I do is put a thawed table shrimp in a filter media bag and put it in the tank for about a week to give me ammonia spike then take it out and let the cycle run it's course. Ro water is one of the more important things in the hobby though so if you don't have a source to make / buy it that could be a problem. Some walmarts and meijers sell ro water where you can fill up your own gal/2.5 gal jugs , also most lfs will also sell ro/di water so you might want to see what you can find before starting. IME tap water always leads to bad algae problems down the road

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Ok for a 10g there are lots of ways to go. Filtration you can look at hob protein skimmers to save space in the tank but one is not required on a tank this small if you will be good about doing weekly wc's. You can also use a simple job filter to run some media if you don't want to go w/ a protein skimmer. For the power head it really depends on wether or not you plan on keeping corals to know the amount of flow to shoot for. My 10g lps / softie tank I have 2 korilia 240's on opposite sides and an aqua clear 50 hob filter to run CPE and rowaphos and for a little more surface agitation. Lights again depend on wether / what corals you want to keep. As for the cycle what I do is put a thawed table shrimp in a filter media bag and put it in the tank for about a week to give me ammonia spike then take it out and let the cycle run it's course

So I decided to do a fowlr tank, so I'm going to order some live rock, I have started the cycle and have sand in the tank, I will also get a powerhead. Probably a 425. Thanks for the help. What livestock do u recommend
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mattyfelts's Nano

I would say you can get away with 2 of the 3 from your list added one at a time with a couple weeks in between. Also look into some cool inverts that are much easier to observe in smaller tanks
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. If I add dry rock will it eventually turn into live rock??
Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mattyfelts's Nano

Ya it will, you can add a piece or 2 of LR to speed it along but not necessary. You want to get your rock in as soon as possible because that's where most of your bb will develop.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright I'll have to go to petsmart and get some lr and a power head
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would go to a strictly marine fish store if you can petsmart / petco LR is insanely over priced IMO
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I would go to a strictly marine fish store if you can petsmart / petco LR is insanely over priced IMO

I meant dr and it's the cheapest place around me
Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

So i was just wondering when performing water changes, or generally how do i maintain salinity, also should i buy the SW test kit or is my FW test kit okay for using to measure amm, trite, and trate and ph?

Tags
nano, tss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com