Maurice's 150 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My newest purchase

image-1795833369.jpg

150 gallon oceanic, measures 72x18x27. I will be building a canopy this weekend for it and I should have it drilled one day next week. I'm getting 160 pounds of live rock and about 300 pounds of sand from someone getting out of the hobby. (I plan in washing the sand in ro water first) Plus I have another 60 pounds ill be putting in from my 55.
Skimmer I've ordered
8" OCTOPUS CORALVUE NWB-200 PINWHEEL PROTEIN SKIMMER RATED FOR 250g Aquariums. Plus I have another taotronic ordered and a mag 12 for my return. I'm planning on making my own sump hopefully out of a 40 long. I still have some planning to do but we all know that's never ending. Hopefully I'll have it set up next weekend. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress

Can I add that it may be worth your time/money to just buy new dry sand? I have rinsed dirty sand before and it takes many times of rinsing to come clear. I couldn't even imagine 300 lbs of it. Since you will be rinsing it in RO, you will have die off anyways, and will be losing the benefit of "live sand" anyways. Plus the cost of the RO water, and inexpensive cost of dry sand...

I'm getting all the live rock and sand for about $300. The price can't be beat

Im not saying its not a good deal, I'm talking about the headache of rinsing 300 lbs of sand from an established system... I would gladly pay $300 for 160 lbs of live rock, and then just get new sand.

You're probably looking at hundreds of gallons of water to clean that much sand... It's going to be a waste.

I make my own ro water. I know it's going to be a lot of work but enough dry sand would cost a lot more. Basically I'm buying the rock and getting the sand free

Just picked up the tank I'm turning into a sump. Standard 55 gallon was going to use a 40 long but petco didn't have any and they sold me a 55 for $40

I will get one that big one day :( I honestly thought my 15gal was pretty big before I joined this forum lol

Post when completed :D

Make sure when you build your sump you leave enough room to take the collection cup off the top of the skimmer... It looks like it may be a tight fit clearance wise with the height of that stand...

Back
Top Bottom