Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Maxi-Reef 200 or 300? All-Glass 90G Mega-Flow Tank??

I just got an All Glass Mega Flow Tank, I am loking for a Maxi-Reef filter, either the 200 or 300, problem is every website I go to shows different specs for each one. some say the 200 is good for 90 to 150 gallon tanks, some say its not, some say the 200 is 500 GPH and others say its 400, Which one would be best for my tank?

I tried going to amiracle's website but there is nothing there, the tank is the Mega Flow, with the center overflow, not the corners and has a maximum flow of 600GPH.

Thanks,

David

Old 02-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi David...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
I think the 200 will be just fine for a 90 gal. One suggestion, ditch the bioballs and fil up the compartment with LR rubble...Lando

Old 02-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks, I am thinking it will be good enough too, but I have been getting a lot of confusing info, Well my plan is to use all live sand in my tank and some live rock, so I am probably good there.

David
Old 02-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree LR and LS in the tank is a great idea. However, bioballs have been known to cause problems with nitrates. If you cut in 2lbs/gal of LR in the main then you should have enough biofiltration to break down the nitrates produced by the bioballs. If not, LR rubble instead of bioballs is a much better filter media. If will help reduce the amount of work you will have to do on the tank. I agree...there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Keep stopping y here, there are a lot of knowledgable folks here who will not steer you wrong. Good luck in the setup...Lando
Old 02-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Next Big question is water, In my fresh water tanks I always started with spring water, but 90 Gallons of spring water for this tank is a bit much, my concern is our tap water here is a little hard, what are my choices with water?

I was thinking maybe I should get some sought of filter to run my tap water through when I fill it? What other choices do I have?

David
Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Choices are a bit limited. You can start with tap, but using RO/DI water is better. Spring water is ussually high in minerals and some heavey metals. It is still better then tap, but RO/DI is prefered. I know starting a tank with that can be exspensive, so realisticaly, tap will work. When it comes to topp-offs and changes go for the RO/DI. You can even get units pretty cheap off Ebay.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Good idea thanks I will do my top offs that way.

David

Tags
flow, glass, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com