Maxima Clam foot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
How long does it take for a clam to plant its foot? It has been in my tank a week and still hasn't planted its foot on the rock it is on. The clam is doing really well, extending the mantle all the time. It retracts if I'm running my mag float, but then extends again in under a minute once I'm gone. I thought it would take a day or two...?

Most recent pic:
img_2022103_0_c983c0f58582e86258cb8d59c2e47b61.jpg

Sadly already one of the sources I read through and hasn't given me an answer. Everywhere I read says that they won't place their foot if they aren't happy...and if they aren't happy they will move themselves. Not only is he not moving himself, but his mantle is fully extended, with his valve out to feed. He is quick to pull himself in if you get to close, but comes out again soon after. My only thought on next bet is to move him and his rock out of the sand bed...but he is a really small clam, just smaller than a silver dollar, and smaller clams are supposed to be kept out of high lighting until properly adjusted.

Good luck sniper I'm sure he will cheer up... Water params in check?

I just read a couple things about them not planting if the foot is damaged... It look ok?

Hank just give it time looks good to me I wouldn't have bought one under 3 inches. But that's just from what i've always been told and read.

Sniperhank said:
I couldn't get a clam anywhere around here no matter the size. I got it w/ my rbta from saltwaterfish.com.

How did you like their service. I always go to bluezoo aquatics, but always looking else where. As you described looks to be doing well I don't think its unheard of for it to take a while anchor it self in specially it being so young. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom