Maybe a stupid question, but.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
At Lowes and Home Depot, they have the workshop lights that hold 1-4 flourescents. Even have some that have the compacts. Why dont people use these for their aquariums, even with a different reflector if necessary? They have some dual units that are about 20 bucks. Why dont people use these units with other bulbs?

Why dont people use these units with other bulbs?

Not a stupid question at all. A lot of people don't use them because they just aren't "handy" enough. To use those fixtures, one typically has to build a custom canopy to fit them in.

Second reason they aren't used is because most of those fixtures are for NO lights. Most reefs require at least VHO fluorescent lighting at a minimum. Now if you were building a FO system, they would be great!!

The PC fixtures would be great for reefs, but again, you have to be a little "handy" with tools to make it look good. I guess you could just throw the lights on top of a glass hood but it would look like crap. I am all about making my aquarium look like a work of art and not a science experiment.

Back before compacts, I had a tank with 3 48" twin bulb shop lamps from home depot. I think each bulb was only around 24 watt, but it was the only affordable way. I don't remember compacts back then, but if they were around they were very expensive. I haven't seen the compacts at home depot, but it should work fine if the ballasts are correct. An average compact ballast sells for $40.00, so if they are near that with a nice housing (an can handle the wattage needed) then they are a good bargain.

Back
Top Bottom