Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Mechanical Filtration

A tank with a bunch of live rock would not require mechanical filtration, right? Is mechanical filtration bad if used? If a filter was used with a biowheel and no filter pads, would this help the tank or is it more of a waste of money?

Old 06-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
I'm pretty sure you still need mechanical filtration if you're using LR as a filter. The rock only provides biological filtration. When i think of mechanical i think of carbon and a skimmer which you need with rock(skimmer absolutely, carbon is optional).

A filter without any media is just a powerhead and yes you would need some sort of device to create waterflow. The biowheel attached to the filter is just there for extra biological filtration which the rock is already doing. I think it would be necessary at first to develop the bacteria, but once its established, you could take the biowheel off and the tank would still thrive.

In fact the wheel can actually lead to a build up of nitrates which is why most people who have alot of rock in their tanks get rid of bioballs/biowheels/etc.

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you still need mechanical filtration if you're using LR as a filter. The rock only provides biological filtration.
If you have a sufficient amount of liverock, you do not want to have a mechanical filter on there. They will just work against each other as they are nitrate factories. The common practice with a liverock/livesand tank is to use a protein skimmer as additional help.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Is there a rule of thumb on how much live rock you'd need per gallon or according to tank size for good filtration? Also since I have a ton of little questions, when cycling a tank, when is it right to put liverock/sand in? Would you just have liverock and or sand in from the start to help the cycle? Also, when is it appropriate to put corals and anemonies? Should they be treated like fish and wait until the cycle is complete to build up a reef?

Tags
filtration, mechanical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com