media for HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm using a HOB filter along with a skimmer for my 20 gallon tank. I know I really don't have to have one but it is extra flow. Should I use the media that comes with the filter or use something else...or nothing ?

I would run carbon or purigen little chemical filtration won't hurt. Keeps the water crystal clear. You could buy the filter pad and cut it yourself to save money and a bag of chemipure elite. If you go with purigen buy a fine mesh bag to put it in cheaper to buy the bottle and a bag instead of the pre bag. Place either in your filter.

Thanks.
Would either of those have any effect on my live rock ? Might sound like a dumb question but this is my first attempt at a salt water tank. Had fresh water for years. My 20 gallon salt tank is almost done cycling so I want everything perfect before I add any livestock..

Nope chemi pure elite is good carbon with some gfo to help with phosphates, rinse very well. Purigen absorbs nutrients in the water. 20 gal would be a half unit of elite small container and purigen couple tbs or the pre bag is measured out just read instruction.

Back
Top Bottom