Media in Canister ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to fill up the SW tank finally... after months of planning, saving, and reading.

I'm adding 40-50 # of LR and I've ordered my Remora skimmer... so I don't really need to run the canister, but I'm going to... if for nothing else but good water movement.

I've purchased some AC to put in it... will run AC from time to time. This is all I was planning to run in it... but I've been told by some to leave the filter pads in? Is this a good idea?

Thanks!

Since you have a lot of LR and a skimmer, I would not use the filter pads. The pads will just collect waste and increase possible nitrates. That same waste would normally be removed from the tank entirely by the protein skimmer, or eaten by something in the tank.

Agreed on losing the filter pads but be sure you get the appropriate sized micron media bag to hold the carbon. The grid sizes on the filter baskets are too large and the carbon will just pass through them.

Cheers
Steve

I have a Magnum 350 that I am running in conjunction with 40 lbs of live rock and a CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer.

I use AC in my canister 24/7 with no problems so far. I do however, rinse the filter sleeve once a week and rinse the carbon once every 2 weeks.

No amonia, nitrates, or nitrites for months now.

I would start out with it in there. Cycle with it in. decide later if you want to keep the carbon or not.

Back
Top Bottom