Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmack07 View Post
I'm really leaning towards trying out a blue background. Fish and corals I'm not sure of just yet. How do you mean different? I know I am going to need good filtration. I'm not sure if I need a skimmer or not either.
My best advice is to research all you can and then ask specific questions about things you don't understand. It took a while for me to understand that I didn't need a HOB filter. I was like what? That's impossible! But it's true. I have 2 on my 10 gal tank anyway to create water flow and I simply put live rock rubble in rather than typical filter media. I figured since I had them I would use them instead of buying power heads for the water flow.

You need plenty of live rock and plenty of water flow, a good clean up crew, probably a protein skimmer, really good lighting if you want coral-they require different lighting than freshwater systems. Sumps are the way to go I think, but not sure if you'd need one for a 40 gallon tank.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

My best advice is to research all you can and then ask specific questions about things you don't understand. It took a while for me to understand that I didn't need a HOB filter. I was like what? That's impossible! But it's true. I have 2 on my 10 gal tank anyway to create water flow and I simply put live rock rubble in rather than typical filter media. I figured since I had them I would use them instead of buying power heads for the water flow.

You need plenty of live rock and plenty of water flow, a good clean up crew, probably a protein skimmer, really good lighting if you want coral-they require different lighting than freshwater systems. Sumps are the way to go I think, but not sure if you'd need one for a 40 gallon tank.
40g is right on that hairy edge- if you don't go with a sump, refugium or skimmer you will need to do quite a bit of hard labor without the right clean up crew, I learned the hard way, and I keep on going what you save in hardware costs you make up for in dedication.... Research the heck out of what you want from your tank and for your tank....

ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

MyR6Rocks- Your tank looks really great with the blue! Thank you for the picture to give me a better idea. :]

Thats a good point, saltwater seems like it can be a bit overwhelming, but from the tanks i have seen i know its worth it. As far as filter wise i know for sure i will be going with a canister filter, i may throw a HOB filter on it just to have more water agitation, but im not sure that will be necessary. From the sounds of it i will also be getting a protein skimmer and as far as lighting i will be going with a t5 HO fixture so i can get the light needed for corals. I had looked at petco at a fixture and some bulbs for it was going to go with the ultra sun and the coral sun.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmack07 View Post
MyR6Rocks- Your tank looks really great with the blue! Thank you for the picture to give me a better idea. :]

Thats a good point, saltwater seems like it can be a bit overwhelming, but from the tanks i have seen i know its worth it. As far as filter wise i know for sure i will be going with a canister filter, i may throw a HOB filter on it just to have more water agitation, but im not sure that will be necessary. From the sounds of it i will also be getting a protein skimmer and as far as lighting i will be going with a t5 HO fixture so i can get the light needed for corals. I had looked at petco at a fixture and some bulbs for it was going to go with the ultra sun and the coral sun.
Most are going to tell you no on the canister filter. Especially since you are getting a skimmer, it's not necessary. They tend to harbor nitrates.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I'm missing something then you told me no on a HOB filter and now no on a canister filter. Do I only use the skimmer and water changes? Confused. XP
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep your HOBs lol. In all seriousness though, in a situation like yours I would want my live rock to do most of the filtering with the help of water motion, which your HOB can provide along with a powerhead.... I swear it's ok
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh ok I wasn't getting that the live rock will work as filtration also. So if I go with a HOB with a power head would I still want to go for a HOB with 5x the filtration amount?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hob or canisters are fine just do your maintenance on them. I run 4 hob on 4 different tanks75,46,36 an20. 75 has a sump I use them for chemical,biological and polishing the water.cant have enough filtration. Key is maintenance and wc.Its not really that complicated, key is patience and maintenance.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Hob or canisters are fine just do your maintenance on them. I run 4 hob on 4 different tanks75,46,36 an20. 75 has a sump I use them for chemical,biological and polishing the water.cant have enough filtration. Key is maintenance and wc.Its not really that complicated, key is patience and maintenance.
And when you say maintenance on the filter you are meaning just cleaning it once a month like I do with my freshwater filters? Water changes I am confident about just have to learn how to mix up my saltwater.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember to use RO/DI water, or distilled to mix your salt with. It's a good little thing to remember- live rocks with macro algae are definitely your friends when it comes to a happy 40g. I think by maintenance it's just implied that you keep an eye on your parameters and what's going on in your tank....

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com