Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Psychocircus91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 721
water changes 1x a week is the norm. As mentioned, you will be better off by taking the filter media out of your hob filter. cleaning the filter media once a month would not suffice. With a skimmer, live rock, and powerheads you do not need a hang on back filter at all. it's just one more thing that may detract from the beauty of your tank.
__________________

__________________
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
water changes 1x a week is the norm. As mentioned, you will be better off by taking the filter media out of your hob filter. cleaning the filter media once a month would not suffice. With a skimmer, live rock, and powerheads you do not need a hang on back filter at all. it's just one more thing that may detract from the beauty of your tank.
Yup yup I understand water changes. I've never messed with skimmers or power heads. So I will go look into those right now and get back with any questions I might have. Thank you! And I also thank everybody for their patience. Just wanna make sure I get off on the right foot with this tank.

Ktom- Yes I plan on getting a RO/DI system, not sure on how big of a system I need thou. Also when mixing the water do I just get like a big trash can ( something big that can hold water) and mix it up in there and then add it? I will be sure to remember that important piece of knowledge thank you. Oh yes I understand that.
__________________

__________________
Lilmack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Psychocircus91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmack07 View Post
Yup yup I understand water changes. I've never messed with skimmers or power heads. So I will go look into those right now and get back with any questions I might have. Thank you! And I also thank everybody for their patience. Just wanna make sure I get off on the right foot with this tank.

Ktom- Yes I plan on getting a RO/DI system, not sure on how big of a system I need thou. Also when mixing the water do I just get like a big trash can ( something big that can hold water) and mix it up in there and then add it? I will be sure to remember that important piece of knowledge thank you. Oh yes I understand that.
Since this is 40 gallons, you won't really need a trash can. When you first mix, you can do it directly in the tank, since nothing will be living in there. Then for water changes you could just use a 5 gallon bucket.
__________________
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You probably want to wash a canister filter out more frequently than once a month. I suggest weekly. 50 pounds of rock, and a good quality protein skimmer are all you need to keep a healthy tank. You don't even need a "clean up crew". I find that name comical. When food is eaten, it's not gone. It's simply changed. Nutrients must be removed from the aquarium by it's keeper. I don't remember the last time I saw a crab or snail leave the tank to poop!
Get snails and crabs because you like them, not because you plan to rely on them to do maintenance for you.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 227
I only say a trash can because i would figure using a 5 gallon would a bit of a pain in the butt. But now thinking about it, it prolly would be so bad to use for mixing. Also with the skimmer how many gallons do I wanna go for? Could I do one that does 65 gallons or would I wanna go bigger then that? Also I attached a picture of two power heads would one of those be ok?

Mr.x- well from the sounds of it I might try to go with he skimmer, live rock and power head. Though that is good to know its better to do once a week then once a month, thank you. Hahaha I like your outlook on the clean up crew. Never hear anyone talk about it like that but that makes a lot of sense.

Edit- also adding a pic of a skimmer I was looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1909384188.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	143974   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-523871170.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	143975  

__________________
Lilmack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
MyR6Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmack07 View Post
I only say a trash can because i would figure using a 5 gallon would a bit of a pain in the butt. But now thinking about it, it prolly would be so bad to use for mixing. Also with the skimmer how many gallons do I wanna go for? Could I do one that does 65 gallons or would I wanna go bigger then that? Also I attached a picture of two power heads would one of those be ok?

Mr.x- well from the sounds of it I might try to go with he skimmer, live rock and power head. Though that is good to know its better to do once a week then once a month, thank you. Hahaha I like your outlook on the clean up crew. Never hear anyone talk about it like that but that makes a lot of sense.

Edit- also adding a pic of a skimmer I was looking at.
That protein skimmer for up to 65gal. will be fine. That was my first skimmer on my 60 & it worked great. Also might wanna check Amazon, that's where I found it the cheapest.
__________________
MyR6Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TommyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,227
Do you know if you are planning to do a sump/fuge? If you don't you can get the reef octopus skimmer. It's a HOB. I have a 55 tank, and I use the bh-100. It was like $125 when I got it a couple months ago and I love it. I do have an emperor 400 hob filter, however from reading this, I may actually remove that since I have a ton of LR and 4 powerheads and the skimmer.

The powerheads you posted look okay. I would go w/ 750gph I dont think you need more than that. I would buy two of them. 1 for each side of the tank, face them at eachother. You may even be able to go two 500's. I use hydro korolia's. I got two 750's for $30ea. from Dr. Foster & Smith.

With a 4 bulb t5 light, you can keep a bunch of softies but not too many corals with that fixture. Many corals need 6-8 bulb or LEDs. I currently have a 4 bulb as well, just wish I spent the extra $ in the beginning on a better system so I can have corals I actually want.

Best of luck, will be following along.
__________________
Salt Life
55g Reef tank
30g Freshwater tank
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 227
MyR6Rocks- Sweet! Thats great to know, thank you. Oh yes i usually search petco for easy reference, then later on see if amazon has it or not. xD

TommyP- No i don't wanna have one of those unless i really need one. Oh ok i will have to look into that skimmer fer sure, thank you. Haha nice, learn something new everyday. :] I think its pretty crazy to be able to get away with out having a filter.

Oh thats not bad at all and good to know, i will go check that site out. Ive seen people talk about it but ive never went and poked around on it.

Hm i will do a little more research into my lighting fixture then. I wanna be able to grow corals for sure. I had looked at a t5 ho lighting fixture at petco but it was only a two bulb i believe.

Sweet, thank you!
__________________
Lilmack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'm not a fan of that coralife super skimmer 65. I would even go as far as calling it "junk". There are far better skimmers out there for just a few dollars more. If you already bought the ss65, I would definitely do the mesh wheel mod on it. Google "coralife ss 65 mesh mod". You will find step by step instructions on how to make this skimmer much more efficient.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 227
No sir I have not bought it yet, not rushing into anything with this tank. I want to get everything mapped out and then start spending money. Lol I'm glad you brought that to my attention though. May I ask if there is any skimmer you recommend?
__________________

__________________
Lilmack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lisa's Cycling Thread lisa264 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 80 06-09-2012 12:39 PM
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling eco23 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1751 05-31-2012 09:04 PM
Freshwater sand in a saltwater tank? rebelyeller89 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 12-28-2011 01:09 AM
Tank upgrade size & position decisions librarygirl Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 12-23-2011 03:09 PM
Saltwater Reef Tank Contaminated drbrown214 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 09-02-2011 06:16 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.