Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Megan's first Saltwater Tank

Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale and I finally got to go check it out today and of course I came home with a new tank! I ended up coming home with a 40 gallon breeder tank. I'm am currently working on getting a 55 gallon freshwater tank up and running( upgrading my 20 gallon to it). But in the mean time I figured I could start planning out this tank since I believe saltwater tanks are a lot more work and I'd like to have a nice solid plan so I can start this tank off right.

First I would like to know what all I need equipment wise. I know I need a filter, heater,and a lighting system.
Filter- Some type of canister and maybe a HOB for water agitation?
Heater- Would 200 watt ok?
Lighting- Wanna use a t5 HO fixture with the ultra sun and coral sun light bulbs
Skimmer- Don't know anything about these yet
RO/DI system- Ive seen 3 stage, 4 stage, how do i know which one i need?

40-50lbs of live rock
40lbs of live sand

Fish I have no clue about at the moment
Corals I have no clue about at the moment

Background: was thinking about maybe just painting it black like I did with my 55. Not sure yet thou. Any ideas of what looks good with a saltwater tank?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blue looks nice on a saltwater tank. I am actually in the process of getting ready to switch to a 40 breeder I got from Petco as well. Just painted it last night. Here is what it looks like. Just used acrylic paint from the craft store. Cost under 3 bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1254028571.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	143599

Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh that is pretty! I even like the shade of blue you picked. I will keep that in mind but I like that a lot. I wish you luck with the setting up of your tank good choice on the size.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22engine View Post
Blue looks nice on a saltwater tank. I am actually in the process of getting ready to switch to a 40 breeder I got from Petco as well. Just painted it last night. Here is what it looks like. Just used acrylic paint from the craft store. Cost under 3 bucks.
Nice!! Keeping that a secret huh?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Blue and black both work well. I personally like lighter blues as well. I think it also depends what coral and fish you like. You'll find your filtration will be different in saltwater
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm really leaning towards trying out a blue background. Fish and corals I'm not sure of just yet. How do you mean different? I know I am going to need good filtration. I'm not sure if I need a skimmer or not either.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmack07 View Post
I'm really leaning towards trying out a blue background. Fish and corals I'm not sure of just yet. How do you mean different? I know I am going to need good filtration. I'm not sure if I need a skimmer or not either.
Most of us don't use any kind of hob filters. You could get a sump and or a skimmer, but could go either way with this size tank. Definitely can help though
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-365546995.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	143842.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyR6Rocks View Post
I went blue spray paint as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post

Most of us don't use any kind of hob filters. You could get a sump and or a skimmer, but could go either way with this size tank. Definitely can help though
I don't quite agree, my higher power hobs (I have 2 on each of my salt water tanks- 40g and 10g nano) are an important part of my water circulation. I am using 6X the filtration on my 10g and 5X filtration on my 40g along with circulators (500gph for my 40g and 300gph for my 10g). This is not a good idea for larger tanks, though, without at least a protein skimmer or an excessive amount of live rock.

ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com