Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
merky water! help please!

hello. im a new saltwater aquarium owner and im in need of some help.
i recently took over my friends 350l tank and after a sucessful move im have having some teething problems.
iv had the tank for around 5 months and only added a few fish, their all doing well but the water seems slightly merky. it wasnt like this afew weeks ago and the only conclusion i can come to is that perhaps the filters need cleaning. i know they werent cleaned before i took the tank over but i was told they were only a couple of months old. im not sure how to clean them or even sure if i need to?

can anyone help me please?

mac.1986@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

First off, what exactly is your current stocking list? Because i was looking at your "My Tanks" link and if all of those fish are in your tank right now.. well then i'm pretty sure i already know what the problem is. Half of those fish listed need tanks over 120G and you have them all crammed in to that 75G, which is not good. And you have 20 fish in a 75G tank. lol.

Also, can you give us the tank parameters?

Are the main ones, but since you do have coral, give us any other readings you can test for, Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity.. and any others you can test.

Also, please give us the exact readings that show up, and don't just tell us that "the levels are all OK" Because your definition of OK might be our definition of.. death to all the fish in that tank.

Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi kevin
my tank list is the same apart from 3 chromis have gone (in the lion fish bellys i suspect), the spawn has shrunk, but the anemone is growng and ive added a picasso trigger and a blue star. ive been sure to explain to my local stockist the size of my tank and they assured me i had more than enough room for these fish (baring in mind that the triggers are quite small, 3-4 inches).

my tank parameters are

nitrite: 0 ppm
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrate: 40ppm
saltwater high range ph: 7.8

i buy my saltwer pre-mixed so unfortunatly i dont know the level.
mac.1986@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
When you say Merky what do you mean? How much flow is in the tank? What kind of filtration? Any LR? How often do you do PWC`s?
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com