Merry Christmas! (tube worm pic )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wood_Dog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, thought now would be a good time to post a pic of my new Christmas decorations. Can't take my eyes off this rock....makes me feel all festive. :lol:

Attachments

• 100_0765_450.jpg
    100_0765_450.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 182
Fluff said:
Very nice! Is that porites they are in or are they just bored into the rock?

Cindy, something I learned at some point. Christmas tree worms and Porties have a symbolic relationship in that christmas tree worms can only live in porties rocks.

fishfreek said:
Fluff said:

Cindy, something I learned at some point. Christmas tree worms and Porties have a symbolic relationship in that christmas tree worms can only live in porties rocks.

Yeah, that's what I read as well and if the coral dies, so do the worms. But I have seen them as hitchhikers on liverock living without a coral though so figured I'd ask. Thanks. :D

Sorry, I'm not really able to answer that question...although it seems others already have.

But I have seen them as hitchhikers on liverock living without a coral though so figured I'd ask. Thanks.

Although this goes against the advice of the other guys it was what I assumed was happening. This is what the lfs guy told me it was anyway. Maybe thats not right? :?

It does look like your rock is incrusted with porites or it has a porites skeleton showing. It's hard to tell. If it is coral incrusted, be sure it gets plenty of light and is in a med flow area. Eventually you should begin to see tiny polyps. Either way it's a nice rock. Enjoy it. (y)

Hey Bamaboy, got it from the lfs. Cost me a small fortune but I think it was worth it. Really provides a strong focal point to the tank.
Cheers
:)

Thanks for the reply, that looks great have you had it for sometime or is it something new? I will check with the guys over here at Orange Beach and see if they can get something like that in.

I see Christmas Rocks all the time at my LFS. They do not look as nearly as nice as yours though. Most that I see, only have a few worms and the porites is always dying. I would love to acquire a piece like yours!

Hi bamaboy, my lfs guy has his own diver in far north Australia. He has only had a shipment of this rock twice- the first shipment sold out in 4 hours and I was there when this one came in....all sold by the next day! All pieces were beautiful, some nicer than mine but I just couldn't afford them. I have only had it about a week.
The diver charges whatever he wants....because the area where this rock comes from is inhabited by saltwater crocks. Infact the last diver was taken by a crock last year!

ZooFishMaster...maybe the above explains why you haven't seen more pieces like this. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom