Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Metal Halide bulbs

I'm looking to find the best price on a 175W 10K MH bulb. I do not want a coralife! I have had Aqualine Bushke (spelling?) in the past and was very pleased with the color, not sure how the Ushios stand up to it, any comments there would be helpful. If you have any photos of your tanks with different man 10K bulbs, would be interested to see them.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Is price a consideration? There were several posts a while back on "cheap" lights. If you're looking for top of the line, I can't comment.

Mark

Old 12-08-2002, 08:04 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, price is always a consideration, the cheaper the better. I am looking for opinions and personal experience, as well as prices and etailers.

Old 12-08-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

maiceman (a friend of mine) recently set up a 72 gal bow front using these lights http://www.hellolights.com/175wat10vion.html and is very happy with them.

Mark
Old 12-08-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Mark, is your friend keeping any colored SPS? I have noticed my colored SPS seem to be losing their vibrant tips. I want the color back 8O Do you know how the color of the bulb compares to a Hamilton true german 10K or an Aqualine Bushke? More blue, more white or more yellow? I am hoping that it won't matter all that much and the increased intensity of a new bulb will be enough to bring back the color, but I have read from others that SPS color up better under the 10K, and for growth, go with the Iwasaki 6500K. I have a small tank so I opt for color over growth, they'll still grow, just not as fast.

Old 12-09-2002, 10:01 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

According to the ever controversial Dr. Ron, the importance of spectrum is inversely proportional to the intensity. Enough watts of MH and even low kelvin bulbs are sufficient according to this line of thought. I don't remember the size of tank you have but maybe 250W would give you the desired results. I think healthy corals with good color should grow like weeds. Not sure how you get one without the other.

To your question: he is just starting a new tank. No sps yet. He's happy with the color (bright white) but has never had MH before so can't compare with german 10000K. IMO if you want to get a lower kelvin bulb white, add actinic. Works for me. You can then adjust the spectrum to suit based on the watts of actinic you use.

Mark
Old 12-09-2002, 11:46 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I think healthy corals with good color should grow like weeds. Not sure how you get one without the other.
I agree, but that is what I've been told by other SPS keepers, I think I am going to go with the Vion bulbs, they are on sale right now and with the sale price I can also get a couple of true actinic PC bulbs and not have spent much more than if I'd gone with the Aqualines or the hamiltons.

So does anyone know if hellolights has a coupon?

Old 12-09-2002, 12:52 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

BTW, my tank is a 20L, it's only 12" deep, the acros are only about 4" from the surface of the water (from their tips). The MH bulb is about 9" from the surface of the water. I have a CSL pendant MH, 175W with 2 X 28W PC. I think 250W would be a little too much. The pendant has a 1/8 " thick glass splash shield, not sure if this might block enough UV to cause the fading, I've read that glass will block UV, but that is what came with it. Anyone think I should remove the splash shield?

Old 12-09-2002, 05:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

The bulbs Mark mentioned above now are supporting some finger leather, frog spawn & button polyps. My rock is developing some nice coralline color with a few feather dusters appearing. The color is a bit yellow without the (2) 40 watt actinics but the intensity is great. I have spectral aluminum reflectors rolled into half circles mounted above each bulb that I think helps a bunch.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the reply maiceman. I ordered one today,I guess we'll see how it works out As for the yellow color....well I'm running 6500K now and with the actinics, I like the color, so doubtful it will be too yellow. Hellolights has a good rep and I'm sure the bulb will be plenty intense enough.

Tags
bulb, bulbs, halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com