metal halides are hot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i have a 90 gallon tank, and i decided to upgrade the NO fl lights to metal halides. i bought a 458 watt 49" fixture, and just put it in place of the other light fixture. bad idea. cracked both glass canopy tops. now comes to my question . . . how far off the water should these be placed? there are 2 175 W MH's and 2 54 W T-5's. also, should i plan on replacing the glass or can i just leave it open on the top of the water? i do have a canopy that i built that i will now have to modify since the light is 1" too long, but that is the least of my worries. also should i "break the tank in" to the lighting? and will i need to do anything to dissipate the heat? not a bad price that i paid though. $360 delivered from ebay. its a Jebo 2007 458 watt MH with moonlight clusters. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW, the tank has been up and running for about 12 months.

I would leave the glass tops off as they will cause low PH due to poor gas exchange. Your info does not give any so I dont know what type tank you have. If you have corals then yes you`ll have to break your tank in. Starting off at maybe a couple hrs a day and moving slowly up as the days go on. I dont use a canopy on my tank but if you want yours ,like you said you`ll have to modify. Good Luck

so is 8 to 10 inches off the water surface enough space? also, does anyone know where to buy those little 4" cube fans?

I think most people use those computer fans but I saw some advertised at Smith and Foster. Liveaquaria .com

Back
Top Bottom