Metal Halides for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a new 20 gal reef tank and I am looking at purchasing the new viper hqi clamp on metal halide. I am trying to figure out if I should get the 70 watt or the 150 watt. Any suggestions? I forgot to add that it is a deep 20 gal tank.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Lighting will depend on what you want to keep in your tank. I am not familliar with the viper brand.

One of the LFS that I go to has a 20tall and they have a clamp on HQI and it is a 150w 14k. They keep a lot of SPS frags in that tank. I don't see it being a benefit to the tank as the corals don't look very good, but I don't know for sure. The lighting question is usually one that gets someone fired up, so I will let others offer their opinions. Good luck and welcome!!

I would go with the 150 and as Ziggy said 14K is not a bad choice. What type of corals are you planning on having? I hope no one is going to get fired up on a lighting question. LOL

Well I am not sure on the types of corals yet because I am new to the hobby but I would like to have the opportunity to use have whatever I a want. The only thing that worries me about the 150w (which is the one I think I should get) is the possibility of the light really heating up my tank

Rambo64 said:
The only thing that worries me about the 150w (which is the one I think I should get) is the possibility of the light really heating up my tank
I had this problem with my 125G. The temp swing was from 78-83 degrees. I used a big fan to blow across the top of the tank, now it stays stable at 78-79 degrees. One more thing, let it run with the fan and find out the highest it gets and set your heater for that. A 2 degree swing is about the minimal you want. I have my fan on the same timers as the lights, so I don't have to worry about it running all the time, or turning it off.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I say go with the 150watt as well, especially if this is a 20tall. You will get much better light penetration and you will be able to keep a wider variety of animals. 14K or 20K should look okay...depending on the amount of "blue" you want to see.

Scott...Viper is maid by JBJ for nanos. It is pretty new and can be found at MarineDepot.com

Back
Top Bottom