MH necessary for Anemones ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insahn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok here's how my first post goes,

I am seriously considering to keep either a bubble tip or a condy anemone as the first inhabitant in my 1 month cycled 2ft tank.

My tank is situated a metre away from the window hence its getting reasonably good sunlight throughout the day.

So the question is, do i still need MH or strong PC lights for my anemone considering it will have a clown fish to maintain its eating habits ?

Ciao ! 8O

From reading many other posts, Anemones aren't suposed to be put in any tank less than 1 full year old. I am also under the impression that you should keep your tank away from the sun, as it would affect temp spikes, and algea blooms. I am also under the impression that Anemone require at least 10+ watts per gallon to have a good chance. and lastly I know alot of reefer freinds (some on this site) that Don't recomend keeping them at all. I don't recomend you keep one, if you do wait at least a year. Your clown doesn't require one to be happy. they will host other easier typs of corals and I have even heard of them hosting Hair algea, not that that would be a good thing, but you get the point. I'll wait for others to chim in. They are beutiful creatures though. 8)

BTW, :onfire: :lol: :multi: :jump: :pepsi: WELCOME ABOARD!

From reading many other posts, Anemones aren't suposed to be put in any tank less than 1 full year old. I am also under the impression that you should keep your tank away from the sun, as it would affect temp spikes, and algea blooms.

Yep

I am also under the impression that Anemone require at least 10+ watts per gallon to have a good chance.

Nope

I am seriously considering to keep either a bubble tip or a condy anemone

If you do one, and I don't recommend it in such a small, new unstable tank...get a TR BTA clone. Conys are not natural host anemones, although will host sometimes. You should be able to get away with PC lights, t5 hos or vhos for an anemone on a 2 ft long tank, depending on the depth. Anemones also require pristine water conditions to thrive. Most do not survive the first year, with the majority of those dying within the first few weeks to a month, the creatures are virtually immortal in the wild 8O

There is no correct wattage, there are too many variables. But if you were to force me to say, I'd go...
MINIMUM:
5WPG PC
7.5WPG VHO
MH does not conform to any type of wpg it is more based on tank depth.
No clue on the t5 ho's

WOW, thanks for the advice guys. I'm not really worried about the clowns. I just find anemones attractive. I'm gonna read up more on these guys before deciding to bring them home. :D

If you want to watch the symbiotic relationship between clowns and a host...get a hairy mushroom. Lots of time percs and ocellaris will take to an alternate host like a hairy shroom ;)

A Little encouragement !!! :) A While ago I had a 30 US gallon tank that I had going for about 6-7 months it only had 2 gold striped maroon clowns and two bubble tip anenomies some hermits a few snails and a starfish. I was using a 130 watt PC unit to supply light to the tank which is just under 5 watts/gallon due wattage being a way to measure heat a bulb puts out it can make a huge difference of what type of light source you use the light source I used was a dual light system containing a 65 watt actinic 03 bulb and a 10,000K light bulb. I have hear rumors to these new 10,000 K light turning corals a brownish color instead of a more tan coral that I have seen from natural light or MH lighting. I only had this smaller tank with the anenomies for about 1 year then I sold everything off to start a new much larger reef tank

wattage being a way to measure heat a bulb puts out

Wattage is the amount of electricity used to run the electrical device.

Typically a higher K temp (kelvin temp = color, not heat) will bring out more color in the coral rather than less.

Will the hairy mushroom outgrow my two feet tank ? Is there any symbiotic relationship btwn clownfish and toadstool leather :?:

Will the hairy mushroom outgrow my two feet tank ?

No

Is there any symbiotic relationship btwn clownfish and toadstool leather

Sometimes, it is not a natural relationship, but in the aquarium many times clowns will adopt a toadstool leather as a surrogate host.

Thanks reefrunner for the valuable info. I'll probably choose the nicer looking one among the two 8O

Back
Top Bottom