MH retrofit questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy929

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a dual 250w 20k MH retrofit kit earlier this week for my 55 gallon reef. I plan to install them this weekend, but I had a couple of questions.

The new lights are going to be replacing my two 65w 10k PC lights in my 48" JBJ Formosa hood. I will leave the other two 65w Actinics in the hood. http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_formosa_dx.html The hood sits approximately 6-8" off the water.

1) can I leave the plexiglass splash shield in place, or will it melt 8O

2) Between the Actinics and the 20k, will my lighting be too blue?

Thanks!

1) can I leave the plexiglass splash shield in place, or will it melt

I would not have anything between the bulbs and the water.. The MH burns at around 600*. I would not recommend the plexi shield Also, I would shoot for the full 8" above the water....

2) Between the Actinics and the 20k, will my lighting be too blue?

I don't think it will be too bad.. Maybe a little bluer however, the MH 20K isn't a dark blue light, rather, it has a slight blue hue... I think it will look awsome... Only you will be able to make that decision.. Try it without the Actinics to see...

Wow! 600 degrees? Just to put it in perspective, approximately how hot do PC lights burn? Am I going to require a chiller? :?

PC lights burn quite hot as well I would guess 400*.. not close to MH though.. I wouldnt think you would need a chiller however if you dont have fans on your hood I would seriously think about putting a few on it.. I know I can really feel the heat from my PCs blowing thru the vents in the hood...

HtH,
James

With adequate ventilation, a chiller shouldn't be necessary with 250w halides (assuming the room temperature isn't too warm). Don't forget to acclimate any photosynthetic invertebrates to the new light slowly; it's quite a jump in intensity from 2x65w PCs :D I think you will be very happy with the upgrade to halides :D

yeah just go to radio shack and gets some 4" computer fans to mount in your hood. thats what i did and i'll never have to open the heating vent in my room again!

Back
Top Bottom