Micro Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 28 gallon marine, (fish, skunk cleaner shrimp, snails, algae, etc) and I have a secondhand Coralife Super Skimmer 65. My tank looks cloudy from the micro bubbles. Is there anything I can do about this? Skimmer has all the parts with instructions included. It is a hang-on.

I am also inept as to dialing it in. Tank has been set up since January and problems started a couple months back.

Hi there when you started to get this problem have you or did you add anything to the water or have you started using a carbon source like pellets or any type of No3 removal, also even A water change can cause this problem for a few hours to.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, I have not done a water change in a few weeks. I used to add CoralUp to the water but stopped when my lovely microalgae took over... so no. Have been adding nothing to the tank. But sometimes it is fine, most of the time the water is really cloudy. Really puzzled on this one.

You could try adding some active carbon to your system this will take out any impurities and my help towards clarifying your water. it sounds like there's something in your water that is causing a surface tension which causes microbubbles and not knowing your system in full can only just suggest things Worth trying so as I suggested above you could try adding some active carbon first , also you could also try turning down the amount of air your skimmer is getting which will help towards a dryer skim which will help towards less bubbles and if you can raise the skimmer top slightly my help as well depending on what skimmer you have, also it's quite possible with the cloudiness of the water is that you may have a bacteria Bloom which should subside over a period of time, again these are just possibilities good luck?

Coralife Super Skimmer 65. It is an out of tank hang on so I can't raise it. Where could I add the carbon? My filter is a powerhead run UG so no place to add media. Could I add it to the skimmer itself?

And how do I adjust the airflow? (complete newbie, I guess reading the manual is a good place to start):rolleyes:

I haven't heard of the skimmer you have but most of them have a small piece of a tube connected to them with a tap on it just try closing it a bit,
With the active carbon just play some in a bag and hang it in the corner of your tank it may look unsightly but it should do the trick.

I put the carbon in and that didn't seem to help, but my uncle (who has basically my same setup with dead fish instead of live ones) is changing his only tank to freshwater cichlid, and he offered me his skimmer. I will probably have problems with this one too... I'll keep y'all posted!

Back
Top Bottom