Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Micro Bubbles

Can anyone help me with suggestions as to how I can get rid of these micro bubbles...ugh....I have read that they will kill my inverts so now I am completely stressed...

Any Help would be appreciated....

Old 01-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Micro bubbles can irritate fish and lead to "embolisms" at an extreme and can harm corals, however short term I would not be to panicked here.

Where are they coming from?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I ask the same question. We need to know where they are coming from.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This most likely sounds really stupid but to be totally honest I am not sure...I thought that is was from the diffuser on my skimmer but I dont think that is the culprit...I have been adjusting it this afternoon and have it on a more of a drier skim that before and does not seem to make any difference....it seems like the PH might be causing it but that does not seem totally logical..how do you guys have your PH's pointing..I had mine pointing up to the surface and the other one is pointing to the back of the tank. I moved the one that was pointing upwards to point more straight across and its made a bit of a difference I think. I dont have a terrible amount of them but I am not quite sure what amount I should be concerned with..does not look like looking through a glass of champagne or anything.....so maybe then Tomd I am overly concerned then? I just finished the tank's cycle and I was excited about putting things in until this happened....I just put snails in so far...

Sorry to sound so stupid-but in actuality not far from it when it comes to this new game I am playing Thanks again
Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

1. Sometimes skimmers have a "break in" period in which they do sometimes produce micro bubbles. If so, nothing to worry about it will go away.

What kind of skimmer?

2. If it is the powerhead just pointed towards the surface to much just point it a little more downwards but I think you would be able to tell if it was.

What kinds of powerheads?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its a Coral life super skimmer and the maxi jet 900 (2) that I am using...the skimmer is a HOB type....it works slick and the PH seem to be working good too....the tank has been running with the skimmer for about 4 weeks now....
Old 01-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The needle wheel pump on the CSS skimmer creates micro bubbles per its design. You sure you have everything connected right?

Also, I think it comes with a bubble trap, are you using it?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Tomd

I have the skimmer connected exactly how its suppose to be...I have the bubble trap on also..I added the 2nd PH yesterday and that is when I started noticing it..my LR even has bubbles on it now...the bubbles look almost like particles of dust blowing around in there....the big bubbles are all underneath the bubble trap and I think that the PH are disipating them into the tiny bubbles...are SW tanks suppose to be totally bubble free or do they all have small amounts of them? I cant believe how bubbles have me in a panic...

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me figure this out...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you think it is the powerheads, try and play with their position more, although to be honest it is hard for me to imagine powerheads creating this. Also, I have heard of skimmers having up to 6 weeks of "break" in time. Some take longer than others.

Also, their is a round switch on the CSS. Try adjusting the water level, may be set high.

Usually we have no bubbles. Larger bubbles are not as irritating to the fish but we still want to get rid of them

And no problem at all!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks again for the help...I will mess around with it some more and hopefully get this resolved because I dont want to put anything into the tank with these bubbles in there...and whoever said that SW was not hard

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com