micro reef aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

removedastars

Aquarium Advice Regular
i saw a really nice micro/nano reef set-up at a LFS but wanted to get some advice before i even consider. are micro/nano reefs really viable or are they just too small to keep saltwater fish?

~lauren

The most successful nano reef tanks are second tanks of people that already have a big one. It is very difficult to keep the water parameters steady in a small tank. Multiple tank owners can overcome this by using the big tank as the water supply for water changes in the small tank.

I agree that it will be a challenge. It will be less forgiving of not so good water quality and temp swings and mistakes. Check out our nano reef forum. They will be a big help also.

I agree! Smaller tanks are more difficult and more demanding then larger systems. Things can go badly very quick in small tanks and without a larger system to help balance it back out you could run into issues.

what would ya'll consider the smallest "big" tank? [gallons wise] i'm considering going for a 29 gal, would that still be on the small side?

This is solely IMO but I always suggest that a 55 gallon is a good starting size. It is just big enough to be more forgiving on water issues and small enough that it does not take up much room. If you cant go with that then the bigger the better is my motto. Go with the biggest you can afford.

Having started with a 46g bowfront, I'd agree with melosu. But then again, it all depends on how much room you have to work with.

yeah it's not a money issue it's a space issue which makes it suck even more! haha i want to try out the SW world sooo bad but i just have limited space...we'll have to see though a 55 might just fit in the space.

i've been reading up alot through these forums about SW and everything they require, and i'm having a hard time understanding the concept of a sump and refuge. what is there purpose? haha freshie wants to turn saltie but is clueless is pretty much what i'm going through!

thanks for the replies and advice in advance! :)

The main purpose of a sump is to add water volume to the system. More water equals more opportunity to dilute the nasties. The secondary purpose of the sump is that it's a great place to hide heaters, skimmers, etc, and keep your main tank looking uncluttered. A refuge is just another smaller tank that macro algae can be grown to export nitrates.

I have neither with my 46g. They're nice, but if you don't mind hang-on-back equipment, and heaters stuck to your glass, they're not a necessity. I've been able to keep my tank water parameters pretty darn pristine without them, but with good weekly maintenance. (Plus... the room under a 46g bowfront for a sump is pretty useless - as I see you can tell from your signature line!)

As is the case with any aquarium, if the owner educates themselves and provides proper husbandry then success will follow. Aquariums can be more forgiving than given credit for and the mistakes or unfortunate uprisings that can decimate small aquaria can also affect larger systems in mere hours. The only limitations are the inhabitants (species, territories, size, etc) and your imagination ;)

The only limitations are the inhabitants (species, territories, size, etc) and your imagination ;)

thank you for those encouraging words innovator! :D

i was looking at my LFS [just so happens that the closest LFS that sells marine is petland] and was looking at the 29gal biocube and i think that just might be the one. the other option is the eclipse version that we sell at my work [petsmart]. do any of you know which is better [as far as the included filter, pump, etc.]?

also would i really need a protein skimmer? the guy at petland told me i wouldnt...but i dont know if i trust his word...[ps i'm not fond of petland! haha]

I don't recommend a skimmer for anything under 40g's unless you are housing aggressive feeders/defacaters. I prefer keeping a high nutrient load, but others may not share the same sentiments. Perhaps others can inform you of the Biocube vs. Eclipse. I do know that many replace the canopy with a higher wattage fixture and the bioballs are not needed.

Back
Top Bottom