Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 12:56 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisanthrope
*I will need compact fluorescent because I do want to grow coral
You might be able to have some of the low light soft corals with two 15w bulbs...it would be absolute minimum IMO. Check out www.ahsupply.com for PC lighting. They have some 13w PC's that you could probably retrofit into a hood.

Quote:
* dont need a skimmer just let the live sand and rock filter but I will need power heads for current?
You don't have to have a skimmer. It will help with water quality. Many people who have nano tanks rely on water changes to keep water quality up and replenish trace elements.

Quote:
*coming from a freshwater planted tank I do 1/3 water change every two weeks, do I do water changes in the similar manner to a reef tank or just top off the tank when water evaporates?
Both...top off the tank with either RO or distilled water...no salt. Salt doesn't evaporate. You'd be suprised how many folks overlook this. I'd do a weekly water change of about 20% in addition to the top off. You'll need to top off every day to keep salinity in check. It may seem excessive, but it will guarantee you have good water. Once you gain some experience and get used to the tank, you may be able to extend this some with no detrimental effect on the tank.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
What about the addition of Ca guys?
Quote:
Salt doesn't evaporate
Thats really weird I use Intant Ocean salt and my salt evaporates right with the water....HMMM Interesting....Why does my salt evap and no one elses does? I have a salinity test and i have to !ALWAYS! add salt??? HMM thats frustrating.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:00 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You may get some salt creep around the top of the tank. The water is the only thing that evaps though. All the salt, minerals, ect... are left behind. I top off with pure water every day and my salinity stays the same. On a small tank with a lot of salt creep, I suppose you might lose enough to affect salinity. Funny you should mention it though. The 180g at the eyecare center is just the opposite. SG seems to slowly creep upward on that tank. After the last water change, it was at 1.025. Yesterday, when I checked it...with water levels the same, it was up to 1.027. It's done that a couple of times. Go figure

Tags
micro, reef, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com