Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mid Cycle hair algea

My tanks been cycling for about two weeks, I started with two cocktail shrimp and have since added 25# of live rock. It's been in about a week. Yesterday the life on the rock seemed to explode! New live things everywhere on the rock and with it I noticed the green hair algae. there are a couple of crabs that came on the rock and they seem to be enjoying it. Although I don't believe they'll keep up. The question I guess is, is there something I could/should add now to keep it under control?

thanks

Mike

Old 02-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Has your cycle completed? If not, I would hesitate to add anything. I would not run any lights or only actinics at this point in the cycle, this will help keep the unwanted algae from taking over.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Once your chemistry is inline and the cycle has finished add a sally lightfoot crab. It will decimate all hair algae within a couple days.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Quote:
Once your chemistry is inline and the cycle has finished add a sally lightfoot crab. It will decimate all hair algae within a couple days.
Not necessarily true...sally lightfoots will eat hair algae but most often only clumps that are very small and just growing. IMO they won't touch the larger clumps. Sally lightfoots will also eat coralline algae (not really a bad thing) and they when the get larger they will go after small fish and are not easy to catch in a LR tank.

Tags
algea, cycle, hair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com