Mid cycle screw up (i think)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloudStrife

Aquarium Advice Activist
So when I set up my main tank, I got all my equipment at once, protein skim, filter, heater, and lights. When I started I added my live rock my sand and water then got the filter working along with the protein skimmer. What I didn't know was that you aren't suppose to run the skimmer while cycling so I added a shrimp while my protein skimmer was running for what I thought was starting my cycle.

Well for a couple days, my skimmer was working well and was pulling out the crap. I was running my tests checking the ammonia it did go up to about mid green level so I thought all was working.

After the shrimp rotted away, my nitrates and nitrites are at zero while my ammonia is around .25 But I still have algae growing on my live rock.

Should I start the cycle over again without the skim running or should I unplug the skim (I did that) and let it finish?

do you have an Ace hardware anywhere near you? pickup some janitorial strength ammonia & put about 2.5ml/10g of water that should bump you up to 3 ppm. if your tank eats that away in 24hr you're good to go

edit: the ammonia is like 3$.. well worth know if you're cycled or not

Should I add another shrimp or would the ammonia added for the test to it

So it's getting closer to the 24 hour mark the the ppm is at about 2 from the 5 it was last night. If it dies off a little after 24 hours is the tank cycled?

So after 24 hours I have a

Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrite. 5.0ppm

What should be my next step?

Unless the ammonia and nitrites are zero after a 24 period then the cycle isn't complete?

Does it matter if the nitrites aren't zero when I add more ammonia in?

Since I started this thread I went on to do the pure ammonia cycle method and it worked! No ammonia or nirites after a 24 hour period and I was keeping the ammonia up and dosing every 24 hours.

But, I tested it for nitrates and there is none. Did the cycle get screwed up again? Or does it take awhile to show up?

Have you been doing water changes? Water changes removes your nitrates. Also the presence of algae will consume nitrates. So in theory, you don't have to have nitrate show up. I have never had any readings for nitrates. That doesn't mean that they weren't there, just consumed.

Nope no water changes but I can see how the algae woul do that since I have so much.

Back
Top Bottom