Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nitrate levels from what I gather will depend on what kinda tank your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mid fishless cycle, no sign of nitrites.

As far as ammonia goes most use a cocktail shrimp and just place it in the tank and wait for it to decay for the ammonia to spike.

Every tank is different though for the cycle to be complete.

Patients is key!!!!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you really want to know, sniperhank already gave you the answer. Get ammonia, dose it up to about 4 ppm and see how long it takes to be broken down. If it clears it up within 24 hours, you are good to go.
When you are ready to start adding fish, I would suggest a big water change, 75%, to bring the nitrates down first.
from then on it will be a matter of stocking, feeding and filtration to keep it in check.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
If you really want to know, sniperhank already gave you the answer. Get ammonia, dose it up to about 4 ppm and see how long it takes to be broken down. If it clears it up within 24 hours, you are good to go.
When you are ready to start adding fish, I would suggest a big water change, 75%, to bring the nitrates down first.
from then on it will be a matter of stocking, feeding and filtration to keep it in check.

I don't have strait ammonia . Can I use a pinch of fish food for a similar experiment?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Anything that will decay will work, but if you use fish food it will require a ton to get what you are looking for and crank your phosphates through the roof.
Go to the grocery store and get an uncooked cocktail shrimp. Toss it in some panty hose, to keep things from getting messy, and tie it off. Toss it inside and you're cycling.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Anything that will decay will work, but if you use fish food it will require a ton to get what you are looking for and crank your phosphates through the roof.
Go to the grocery store and get an uncooked cocktail shrimp. Toss it in some panty hose, to keep things from getting messy, and tie it off. Toss it inside and you're cycling.

Already did that once, first one is totally dissolved now.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So you've already cycled.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
So you've already cycled.

10 4. Diatoms just showed up about 3 hours ago in force, majority of rocks are now covered in orange. Could have been since I switched the powerhead to airate the water instead of blowing on the rocks.

I'm going to grab 2-3 snails and 1 shrimp next weekend, then the first fish a couple weeks after that.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If you have to choose between movement of water on the surface and around in the tank, you need another powerhead.
The orange is cyanobacteria, which points out a nutrient issue in the water column. It thrives in low flow areas.
Since you just finished cycling, you would be able to add a fish depending on what your parameters currently say...but most likely a large water change and you are good to go.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #20

Another powerhead is already on order, definitely want that before fish come in. When you say a nutrient issue, should I be adding something to the tank? Using instant ocean with rodi water and other than live rock a shrimp and some fish food haven't really added anything....

Tags
cycle, fish, fishless, fishless cycle, nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com