milky water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just add southdown sand to a new tank and the water is very milky i was wondering should i run my powerheads or just let the sand settle. is there a quick way to clear it up

thanks

Just let the sand settle. You will need some bacteria established in the sand to keep it settled. That'l happen during cycling. Go ahead and put your LR in and let it cure. The curing will cycle your tank and seed your sand with the necessary bacteria to keep it from making a sand storm.

I have added the LR to the tank and and it is cloudly i can't even see the rock. I was told to run the power heads with the LR by my LFS. This seems to move the sand around much more. Am i doing this right.

Thanks

It may take a few days for the sand to settle while running the PH 's. With LR in there I would keep them running though. If it is still bothering you after 4 or 5 days, run a mechanical filter for a while to get the fine floating stuff out. HTH

Back
Top Bottom