Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to joegalvan Send a message via MSN to joegalvan Send a message via Yahoo to joegalvan
"Milky" Water Please Help

Hello all,

I have just recently converted my 120 into a saltwater tank. I am wanting a reef tank - Live rock , coral, anenomes , fish -- I have had salt tanks before. The problem that I seem to run into is that the water always seems to have a "milky" color. I know that most tanks should not have this. My freshwaters seemed to have it also, well I guess it was more "bloom" for them. I am going to attach pics of the recently setup tank. I can also take pics of the sump as well. I also have a Cascade CAnnister Filter ( for tanks up to 200 gallons) I can add. If anyone can please help me get my water clear, I would appreciate it.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has the water been in there? What are you cycling with? What is your SG? Type of salt used? Answering some of these questions might help to figure out what your problem is.

I had water that looked cloudy like that for a few days. It was part of my cycle and my LFS store wasn't at all surprised when I called them in a panick. If you're not cycling yet then something else must be the culprit for the cloudy water...

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to joegalvan Send a message via MSN to joegalvan Send a message via Yahoo to joegalvan
yea, the tank has been up for 4 days or so... But it seems that I had this problem even when my other was up for months.

I think that my salenity is 1.24
Instant Ocean Salt.
And nothing to cycle it but natural.. I was going to get some Turbo Start, but I havent had the chance yet
Old 01-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you mean 1.024? It still looks like there is some undissolved salt on the bottom of the tank. You might need to let it dissolve out completely (4 days should have done it) or test again and add fresh water to bring salin down if it is above 1.025.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lol - Yea the Salinity (sp) is 1.025 I just tested.

Whats in the bottom of the tank is old sand from the previous setup that I had. Impossible to get it ALL out
Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used a product a couple of years back called "Filter Aid" when I had cloudy water. Cleared it up within 2 days. Of course, I knew the source of my cloudy water, it was the sand not being 100% rinsed.

I don't think there are any "cons" to using Filter Aid, but maybe someone here can charm in on the use of this product. Worked fine for me.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hmm... I will look into it. I dont really have a filter though.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wouldn't add any of those "additives" unless you absolutely need to. Success in a marine tank it centered around how close you are able to recreate the natural ocean environment. I wouldn't worry to much about it. When you get your sand and LR in there and the tank has cycled, it should clear up. BTW, are you using RO DI water or just tap water? Using RO water will be much more beneficial for your tank.

Your source water may the solution to the milky water. HTH! and good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No Im not, Thats what someone else said also.. I think that I might get a RO DI
Old 01-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
mine had the same problem. give it a week and it should clear up. if not you could put some actavated cabon in. that might help.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com