Mini hermit crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I really like little tiny hermit crabs like blue legs, red legs, and zebras, and I kinda want to start up a little tank just with hermit crabs. I don't know where to start though.

What size tank would I need? I would only want maybe 3 or 4 crabs.
Would I need a lot of live rock? I'm fine with getting a little bit, but I wouldn't want to get a ton.
Would I need a powerhead, sump or anything like that?
Anything else I'm forgetting? I know I would need a heater, filter, refractometer, and things like that.

For just the hermits? It wouldn't have to be big at all. A small tank with a small amount of sand and rock. Usually you'd want to follow the 1 lbs per gallon rule with fish, but to only keep what is viewed as a clean up crew it wouldn't have to be followed due to the very small bioload of these animals as long as you weren't overfeeding.
The powerhead for CO2 exchange would depend on the size of the tank. Nothing would need to be special or extravagant on this tank.

Could I even do one of those like mini 2 gallon cube tanks? If I did how many crabs could I get?

Be careful with the hermits, mine like to try an kill each other, especially my blue leg ? I have 4 (i think, they show back up randomly) two Scarlets, 1 big blue leg, an one unknown that I've named Casper as its solid white an has blue eyes. He's my fave an my little hitch hiker but I've had to separate him often as the blue leg likes to fight him.
A 2g would be fine for hermits just keep an eye on the parms

Could I also MAYBE throw in something else with the hermits? Like an emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, or neon goby?

You could have a shrimp and some snails perhaps

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What about the Aqueon Betta Falls? I could do a different hermit species in each little tank. Maybe 2 blue legs, 2 red legs, and 2 dwarf zebras.

Back
Top Bottom