Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am trying to get my nitrates to 0 and all I have is a 5 gallon bucket and one pump to mix with. What is the minimum time I can get by with on mixing. I normal mix for about 24 hours but I noticed after a few hours the water in the bucket is pretty clear. I'm using IO salt and distilled water.

Also could I get by with 4 gallons of tap water? I know I shouldn't but I have the last 4 gallons of distilled mixing and it will be tomorrow before I can.go buy more

Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The water that is mixing has been mixing for about 4 hours now and looks pretty clear

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I mix 5-10 gallons at a time and when I cant see salt anymore I test it and thats about it lol. Usually within a hour. Im not saying its right or wrong but I havent noticed any problems. If my salinity happens to get low in my tank I have even thrown salt in my sump (small amounts) without any problem.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8z2luze View Post
I mis 5 gallons at a time and when I cant see salt anymore I test it and thats about it lol. Usually within a hour. Im not saying its right or wrong but I havent noticed any problems. If my salinity happens to get low in my tank I have even thrown salt in my sump (small amounts) without any problem.
Yeah I went ahead and done another change. I'm using a large needle wheel pump from a skimmer so it mixes really well imo . I also started another batch with tap water that I dosed heavily with a tap water conditioner that removes chlorine, and detoxifies cloramines and heavy metals. I'm just worried about it causing a problem with algea or diatoms
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Ya tap water is always a bad idea.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8z2luze View Post
Ya tap water is always a bad idea.
Yeah I figured it wouldn't hurt to use it once we will see. well after 2 - 4 gallon changes nitrates are at 10.

Tags
mixing, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com