minimum size tank for a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go with the 45 gallon tank. It`s better to go with as big as possibe on your first SW tank. Once you get so you are OK with that then maybe go with a smaller tank. More water volume is always more forgiving when issues arise in your tank. That`s why I say that nano`s are better for experienced folks but that`s my opinion.

i say smaller is a better to learn on, since problems arise quicker, it requires mroe attention and care, so its better for learning on them so when you do go to somethign bigger and more expensive you take your time carign for it and know what to look for before things tend to get serious.

45gallons is a good size beginner tank and i'd recommend that over soemthing liek a 75 gallon any day.

I think a 45g would be fine to learn on. I learned on a 29g and it was alot of work. Then again, I was super paranoid all the time.

I think if she goes with the 45g setup she'll pick another tank to mess with, I say she'll go smaller. ;-) That's my prediction for the future!!

I went from 29, to 55g, to 29g, to 10g to 125g. hehe

harder to maintain yes but you also learn how to maintain it and its not as expensive to learn on a smaller one

Trust me, I started out with -and still only have- a 14G, IMO nanos aren't as hard as everyone makes them out to be, but I don't want someone having problems and quitting the hobby because I told them that

Trust me, I started out with -and still only have- a 14G, IMO nanos aren't as hard as everyone makes them out to be, but I don't want someone having problems and quitting the hobby because I told them that

That`s it. I`m quitting. LOL. Nano`s can be done no doubt about it. I dont want anyone to think it cant be done. I`m just saying that added water volume is a plus if problems arise.

lol i know its not i have myself a little 26gallon and i've never had any issues with it, just saying i think a smaller is better for learning but maybe i'm the only crazy one that thinks so

lol i know its not i have myself a little 26gallon and i've never had any issues with it, just saying i think a smaller is better for learning but maybe i'm the only crazy one that thinks so

I completely agree with you, you're just crazy enough to tell people that LOL

you don't get into a hobby thinking its going to be easy as pie, you always run into problems and then you search for answers and learn to solve these problems and what causes them so you don't do it the next time

you don't get into a hobby thinking its going to be easy as pie, you always run into problems and then you search for answers and learn to solve these problems and what causes them so you don't do it the next time

TONS of people get into this hobby thinking it's easy as pie. Why do you think so many people flock to this website knowing nothing about stocking, cycling, parameters, illness, etc.? Because they think you just throw fish in a tank and you're done. There are certainly people that will quit as soon as they encounter issues.

then in my opinion its a good thing they get out of the hobby if they don't take the time to research, save more fish from your neglagence to care and research

i wouldn't put any fish in a 2.5 gallon though. thats way to small for any fish to be happy in

In a 2.5 there are a few fish that could go into it but you would need it done right... they are gobies that grow to a maximum size of 3/4"-1" they are cute active and can do well in a nano tank as long as you have enough small pieces of LR.

I know that this isn't about this thread so much but I just wanted to straiten that out even though we have moved past it.

Greenmaster said:
In a 2.5 there are a few fish that could go into it but you would need it done right... they are gobies that grow to a maximum size of 3/4"-1" they are cute active and can do well in a nano tank as long as you have enough small pieces of LR.

I know that this isn't about this thread so much but I just wanted to straiten that out even though we have moved past it.

Which goby is that one? :D

Back
Top Bottom