Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have decided that I am going to go with a 90 gallon. As for the angels, im hoping that when I get them they will get along.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

As for a skimmer, I have decided on a reef octopus rated for 250 gallons. I may change my mind though once the new reef octopus super space savers come out.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Id reconsider the space saver design. Im sure they are ok and pull skimmate out, however they prob have to give up a bit of performance to gain the small size
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually from what I've heard they allow the maximum amount of air in them. I'll just wait and see. If they are not good then I will go with the classic reef oxtopus skimmer I mentioned before.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolee0722 View Post
Actually from what I've heard they allow the maximum amount of air in them. I'll just wait and see. If they are not good then I will go with the classic reef oxtopus skimmer I mentioned before.
I don't think you need to upsize to something rated for 250 gallons but you gesurely wont hurt anything doing it. Also if you add fis that end up fighting then its insanely hard to catch in a tank with rock. Especially angels. IME they are almost as bad as catching damsels. 90 gallons is pushing it for your stocking list but with the skimmer you choose and depending upon your filtration you may be alright as long as you maintain it regularly. I still think your angels will fight eventually. I've had two in my 210 and they still fought and like i said it took me 2 weeks to finally catch the flame angel. Hope it helps
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm thinking of just one anthia and probably one cardinal and one wrasse but hopefully I can get 2 angels. Probably going to go with 2 firefish but if I think there is possibly room I will add 2 more.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

As for filtration, I was thinking 2 filter socks first and then the protein skimmer and a refugium after with heaters in it. And then the return pump will be last. I dont think I will be getting reactors as my refugium will do all that. I was also thinking about adding some sponges into the sump I am planning. I plan to either build the entire sump myself or order a custom made one from synergy.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dont spend money on a prebuilt unit. Itll cost a fraction of the money to make a diy refugium sump. Also reactors provide benefits that refugiums dont offer in large effect. (carbon, gfo, etc)

I personally love filter socks. Yes they are a pain to keep clean and need hosed out every few days, but they are dirt cheap to buy and provide excellent mechanical filtration
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes but I heard the money for a reactoe will rack up really quickly. I will only get a custom sump if I have money to do so because custom sumps offer better materials and specially designed acrylic like glass walls with holes in them that I canr drill because they are different shapes.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolee0722 View Post
Yes but I heard the money for a reactoe will rack up really quickly. I will only get a custom sump if I have money to do so because custom sumps offer better materials and specially designed acrylic like glass walls with holes in them that I canr drill because they are different shapes.
Then you should have heard that everything in saltwater adds up faster than you think not just reactors lol. You shouldnt need any holes drilled in the sump. if you don't already have an external skimmer then you can just buy an in sump skimmer and you're fine.

Tags
fish, tank, size, mini, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com